Together

Finalist in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

The waves crashed against the side of the ship and thunder rolled menacingly overhead. Women screamed and children cried as an enormous rock that jutted out from the ocean like a spear pierced the titanium hull. Everyone who could tried to help the crew.

“Right everyone!” the captain bellowed. “Do not panic! We have sent a distress call to the mainland and hopefully it has reached them. So pack your belongings and prepare for a possible rescue! That is all!” Then he walked away, fidgeting nervously.
“You can’t believe that!” hollered a man from the back of the deck. "He’s lying! I will bet you that no one is coming! They’re probably going to let us die! So I suggest that you save yourselves now and leave this godforsaken hell!” And with that, he leapt off the ship into the ferocious water and tried to doggy paddle away before being swallowed up by the ocean.

“He did realize that there was a lifeboat right?” muttered another man. The moment he said that, everyone stood stock still. Then they all surged towards the limited number of lifeboats in a tangled mess of arms and legs. In the mad rush, several people were trampled or thrown off the rails into the endless depths of the sea. But no one noticed, nor did they care.

While everyone was fighting for their lives a little girl was in a cabin on the bottom floor, screaming for her mother to wake up, who had fainted from fright.

“Mummy!! Mummy, wake up!! Wake up!” screamed the little girl. “Wake up!!!”
She screamed and cried desperately as salty tears streamed waterfalls down her face. “Please mummy, come back to me!” Suddenly, she couldn’t hear her mother breathing. The little girl sunk down onto the floor and wailed over her body for what seemed like hours.

As the pain subsided, she heard the mournful melody of a piano, haunting and beautiful. Slowly, the girl stood up and wiped away the tears, on her face an expression of curiosity and sorrow. The music led her down the hallway, and up the stairs, to the theatre room, where she saw an older boy playing the piano. His fingers tapped softly on the keys at times and at others he bashed them with all of his strength. He was pouring his soul into it. All of his hatred and guilt, his sadness.

As he finished the song, he turned his head to face her with sad, brown eyes full of longing. But then they softened and he walked towards her carefully, like she was a fragile creature in amongst a dangerous place. And she was really, a little girl in a foreign land, lost and lonely.

They stared at each other for a time, when she suddenly burst into tears as everything that had happened overwhelmed her.

And the boy pulled her into his arms and cried with her, as with one final creak, the ship finally sank below the waves.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!