Clueless

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

Droplets of rain fell beside my window. I stared at the kids next door until they ran back inside. I walked down my old, shaggy, carpeted stairs and grabbed an apple.
“Mum! You have to take me to Giselle’s house in five minutes!” my little sister called. Lisana was already dressed to go to her friend’s house. She’s always so organised and pushy, but she’s only seven so I don’t blame her. She waited for a response. Mum’s the type of person who calls back as soon as possible. She didn’t respond. Lisana and I looked at each other.
“Mum? Where are you?” I stammered. Lisana gave me a look that said, Don’t be stupid! You know she’s still here. No response. I searched the house for Mum. Nothing.
“Lisana, did Mum leave while I was upstairs?” I asked. She said no. I told her not to lie to me.
“I’m not lying, I swear! Otherwise I would have told her to take me to Giselle’s!” protested Lisana. I believed her. I told her she would have to miss her visit to Giselle’s, and then she went on and on about how unfair I was being – a typical reaction for someone who’s seven, not fourteen like me. I pretended I didn’t hear. We checked if the car was in the driveway. Still there. We checked the basement. That’s where we found the deep, pitch-black hole. I shone my flashlight into the bottomless pit. Lisana, being the curious little girl that she is, jumped into the pit – clueless of what lay ahead. As soon as I saw this happen, I jumped in after her …
Lisana was still fast asleep on the sandy rock. I picked up her limp body and slowly walked towards the light source, obviously from a torch. Lisana woke on my shoulder. I told her to stay still and pretend to be asleep. She followed my instruction. There were six nine-foot rats blocking the way to our mother who was being held captive by what I could only assume was the Rat King’s saliva. The owner of it was standing over her – she had clearly resisted being held prisoner. Lisana was stiff on my shoulder even though we both knew she was awake. The Rat King turned around to look at us. I glared at the humungous creature, which lay ahead of me. Lisana looked and then tucked herself back into my shoulder.
Suddenly, I sprang into action. I used all of the karate moves I had learned from my lessons two years previously. I was surprised they actually worked. I told Lisana to go untie Mum while I distracted the beast.
“Hey! Come get me!” I called to the creature. It chased me, past my mum and sister, into a corner.
“Leah, do the triple glaze on him!” Mum called. I back-flipped into the air and BOOM! It was dead. I ran to my Mum who was obviously surprised to see us.
“Let’s go home.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!