Mother's Tears

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

There is a pile of leaves in my backyard. Whenever the wind blows, the pile is still there. Not a single leaf blows away. I have always wondered why, but something stops me …
Weird sounds are often heard coming from that pile of leaves. When I’m in bed at night, the sounds keep coming, louder and louder. I TRY TO IGNORE THEM, BUT I JUST CANNOT. Who is doing this? What is doing this?
Today is the day I will find out, today is the day I will change my life. Today is the day … I will do … something …
I decide to go for a walk outside. I walk towards the backyard and see the pile of the leaves. I decide to ignore it but then, suddenly, sounds start to come out of it. It sounds like a women screaming, louder and louder, like she is burning or getting tortured. My ears are hurting, I just can’t take it anymore. There HAS to be a way to stop these sounds.
Then, the more I listen, the more I realise the screams sound like my mum. My mum disappeared when I was five and the leaves mysteriously appeared in our yard soon after. Seven years have gone by yet those leaves are still there, bright green and bloodcurdling. Dad says that my mum had problems. I yell at him when he says that.
In my dreams I see my mum, crying and screaming for help.
She says, “You know where to find me. You know where to find me.” Maybe she is talking about the leaves.
I have decided to go and check those leaves out. I go to the backyard with my treasured photo of my mum. I gaze at the leaves – no sound, no noises, nothing. I go closer and touch one of the leaves. Suddenly, screaming noises come again! I jump back and I fall down, but as I fall I am pulled inside the pile of leaves! It is not the ground I feel, it is a big tunnel! I’m falling through the tunnel. I do not feel any pain when I land. I look around me, I see a COLOSSAL house. I walk inside the house and I see my mum in the corner, weeping.
“MUM!” I shriek. She looks up and runs to me.
“You came!” she yells. I hug her.
“Let’s get out of here,” I say.
“You need to put my tears in your eyes,” she states.
“WHAT?!” I yell.
“It is the only way that a mother shows love in this dimension,” she explains.
I do what I am told and in less than a second we are back at home.
I now believe that, if you wish for something with all your heart, nothing can take that thing away from you.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!