An Untold Journey

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

The ice had struck her heart and she couldn’t move at all.
Alexis, a young girl, had been so close to death that if a clouded figure hadn’t approached and taken her away, she would have given up.
Her father had been stabbed in the heart and her mother brutally assassinated two years earlier, Alexis had made it her duty to find and kill whoever ruined her family, ruining her life.
The last sight Alexis saw was a figure creating sparks using two pieces of flint and dry wood which erupted violently into flames, then all was dark.
Alexis woke to something, a sound, akin to a chant. It was a chant.
She opened her eyes and saw three shapes dancing around a fire.
Her paralysis was gone and she could move.
As she stood, the chanting stopped, the figures turned around, they appeared to be American-Indians, flames from the fire reflecting in their eyes, making them appear surreal. Buckets of orangey-yellow glows flowed over their skin and danced among the shadows.
Silently an Indian stepped forward, looking deeply into Alexis’s eyes and glancing at the knapsack draped loosely from her shoulder,
“You were cold when I found you,” he said sternly, his eyes fixed on the grey-green knapsack, “Are you an ice spirit?”
Almost in a trance Alexis was abruptly awoken by a piercing voice,
“Are you an ice spirit?” he questioned again.
Alexis managed to get out a few words, “You speak English well.” she mumbled through small breaths.
“How did I get here?” Alexis watched a droplet of sweat run down the Indians glowing chest and fall to the ground.
“I was hunting with horse,” he nodded to a white mare covered in grey speckles, then began to speak again, “My horse stopped, I got off and found you.” He said, moving his attention to Alexis’s face.
“My name is Seekana, call me Seeka.” He said looking back at the other three Indians.
“He is called Redrow,” Seeka raised his hand and pointed to a tanned, well-built Indian. Then shifting his hand he pointed to a smaller Indian dressed in buckskin, “He is Rovay, my brother.” Seeka shifted his hand again, pointing to the last Indian, “His name is Pontay, he’s a good hunter,” Seek turned is head back to Alexis, “I told you names, now you tell me name.” Seeka gave a soft smile.
“My name?” Alexis whispered.
Seeka nodded “Your name.”
“Alexis, my name is Alexis,” she stared at Seeka’s beautiful brown eyes. “I’m looking for someone, the person who killed my parents.”
Seeka stepped back, “You seek revenge?” Alexis nodded, “Nothing good ever comes from revenge.”
“I know, but still I must, will you help me?” Alexis asked
Seeka looked at his brothers, “We’ll help, but we ride at dawn, safest time.”
“Thank you.” Alexis stepped forward and shook his hand.
“Get some sleep, you’ll need it”. Seeka put a reassuring hand on her shoulder as they all looked at an uncertain future.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!