The Blue Police Box

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

The rain turned the narrow path into a stream of mud and dead leaves, leaving hidden dents of my footsteps behind me. The scent of pine wood and petrichor filled my nose as I strolled along the spongy path. I sighed in bliss as I listen to the sounds of the rain drops rimihiming upon my black material umbrella, creating a light tapping sounds that made me feel aumber. a small smile graced my lips as I took in my surroundings, in every direction there were miles upon miles of bare caramel trees that towered over my small frame. Colourful leaves ranging from scarlet to butterscotch littered the ground like a thin blanket, as if it was protecting the ground from the raw and crisp cold weather.
I was leisurely walking along the moist path, enjoying the environment around me when I spotted something blue out of the corner of my eye, instantly sparking my interest I snap my head towards the mysterious object. My heart stops as I recognise the old navy blue public police box. Thoughts, memories and images flooded my mind as the umbrella slipped from my grasp.
'No-no-no-no, it can't be. It's just a show, right?' The thought repeated over and over again in my mind like a broken record. I was so fixated on my thoughts that I hadn't noticed that I was walking towards it, it wasn't till my hand collided with the wood that the sudden realisation swept over me like a tidal wave, my eyes widen in disbelief.
'Oh my god. It's here. It's real! I'm not imagining it!' I thought in befuddlement. A wide ear-to-ear grin stretched along my face, but then I noticed something else that made my smile drop. It looked... Sad, worn down, as if it hadn't moved in years. Tears swelled up in my eyes as the feeling of despair filled me to my core.
"Oh doctor, where are you? What happened?" I sighed as I gently leaned my fore head against the door, making some small peeling flakes of the admiral-berry blue paint slowly flutter to the ground. Squeezing my eyes tightly to reframe from letting any tear escape. I let the soft drizzle of rain dampen my clothes and hair, feeling as if the rain could wash away this pang of emptiness away.
'It's so stupid but-' I'm not able to finish that thought when I hear a soft 'click', and then the door suddenly swings open, causing me to stumble forward. A pair of polished black dress shoes was the first thing to enter my line of vision, the, slowly moving up seeing a pair of slacks next, followed by a cider brown jacket over a white button-up shirt with a cherry-red bow tie to top it all off. My mouth slacked in shock as I stare into beautiful deep-brown eyes, as I realise who I'm standing in-front of. He kindly smiles at me with soft eyes and says;
"Hello there, I've been waiting for you."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!