Family Ties

Five years ago a man fled his village and disappeared into the wilderness. Rumours say that he joined a group of ruthless outlaws who will stop at nothing to get revenge...

...

Henry Stoke was an average normal everyday sort of man. He had no natural talent, no hidden super powers and had always kept to himself, until that fateful day.

The day that things went wrong started perfectly normal, he and his only son had breakfast together in their immense country house and then went out to do their everyday chores.

Henry’s son, Graham, went to collect the eggs. Except he didn’t. Graham was apparently seen some time later speeding out of the town gates like a cheetah on fire.
Henry had never had a peaceful day since.

...

Snap! The sound made Henry dive for cover behind a humongous boulder. He was in Min Jungle, the exact same jungle his son had disappeared into five years ago.

It was no mystery why he was there. The Minsoon Government was fearing an uprising from the outlaws that Graham Stoke had supposedly joined. Stoke was there to try and gather information about this ‘threat’.

Henry jammed his body tight against the boulder, he wasn’t afraid. After so many false alarms no-one would be. However, this time in felt different. It was as if he could sense the presence of whoever was on the opposite side of the oversized rock.

Fear crept into him, entering through every hole it could. Henry’s heart leapt into his mouth and beads of sweat began forming on his brow. Suddenly, as if pushed by an invisible force, Henry’s head wormed its way around the boulder!

...

Big Chief Brave Lion had called the tribe to the ‘Place of Meeting’. At the time he thought it was the right thing to do. They would have to know the truth, but now with the tribes 287 eyes upon him (one man had only one eye) he wasn’t so sure. Raising himself to his full height, Big Chief Brave Lion began his speech.

“Five years ago I fled from my village and disappeared into the wilderness. Since then I have had many journeys with my comrades and ended up in the midst of your tribe. I soon became the chief. However I wish to return home to my people, my father especially. When I came here I told you my name was Brave Lion...” the Chief suddenly stops and looks around, sniffing the air, his voice drops low, “Intruders”.

...

Stoke holds his breath, his mind brimming with questions. Who were these people? Was the chief really his son?

Stoke let go of the reins holding in his curiosity. These questions must be answered, he had to know. Leaping up from behind the rock Henry Stoke (for the first time in his life) started sprinting. He grabbed the chief, looked him deep in the eyes and said one single word “Graham?”
Suddenly the chief’s eyes filled with emotion, “Yes!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!