Sam's Photos

Sam was walking down the street when she saw it in the Newsagent window, the newspaper; THE NEWSPAPER. The newspaper with the ad advertising the most prestigious photography competition ever. The competition that Sam wanted to enter since she became interested in photography. It had finally come, Sam knew she must enter.

Sam was tall, she had long wavy sandy blonde hair, sea blue eyes and freckles that ran along her nose and cheeks. A couple of weeks ago it had been her fifteenth birthday; she’d gotten a camera for her birthday and discovered she had quite a talent in photography. From then on Sam had entered many a competition and had been successful in all.

The next day, Sam went to the Gallery to get an entry form. When she found the reception desk there was a man there also wanting an entry form. While the receptionist was getting the forms the man turned to Sam and said “there are some pretty tough judges in this competition, especially Peter Williams, I reckon he’s the toughest judge in the whole photography world”.
Sam wondered whether she should give up now but then decided she had nothing to lose and considered it a challenge.
Sam’s eyes opened, she was nervous and excited. When she got into the kitchen the mail was sitting on the counter. This was it; this was the day Sam found out if she had won the big competition but when she opened the letter this is what she found:


"Dear Samantha Wild,
We regret to inform you that your entry in the competition has been disqualified due to misfiling the category of: love
Your photograph in question was of a gay couple holding hands.The category was love,and two persons of the same gender can not have love.Therefore you are disqualified.

Sincerely, Peter Williams; head judge."

Sam felt as though she had been stabbed in the heart. A silent tear slid down her cheek, this couldn’t be possible she thought. Then her disappointment turned to anger. “How dare he think that!” She stormed off to her mum and dad to tell them.

THEN 9:00am that magic, surprising, glorious moment.
“Hey Sam come look at this, you’re famous!’’ Dad hollered with excitement.
Sam looked at the TV. On the news she was the latest headline: “young girl protests for gay equality’’ Sam was famous, and there were even protesters screaming outside the gallery!


Sam is now a well known photographer and is especially famous for her photos standing up for people’s rights.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!