Rat

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

The rain poured down harder. The moon was barely visible through the clouds. Charlie’s tiny heart started to beat faster. He was grateful because he was inside the cottage but he knew there was a big threat. Charlie sniffs the air for food. He smells lots of food. Charlie steps out from his hole and scampers across the dark room.
BANG! The door to the room flies open and an old woman wrinkly woman steps into the dark room. The old woman switches on the light and looks straight at poor Charlie. “AAA! A rat, a rat!” screams the old woman. Charlie starts to run towards his hole but just then he sees his biggest threat.
A black cat with long claws and sharp teeth. Charlie stops in his tracks. The black cat growls and steps forward. “Get the rat now” shouts the old woman. The black cat raises it’s sharp claw and starts to bring it down towards Charlie. Charlie gets out of the way just in time and spots a door. Charlie smells the air to see what is behind the door. A big smelly dog. Charlie has an idea. He scampers up the dirty bench and reaches out towards the grotty doorknob. Charlie opens the door and the big dog runs in. The dog chases the black cat out of the grotty room. Charlie jumps down onto the ground.
Thud, thud, thud. Somebody is coming Charlie thinks. The door flies open and a tall man with a bushy beard steps in. “ What’s happening” yells the tall man. “A RAT!” screeches the old woman and points at Charlie. The tall man grabs Charlie by the tail and holds him over the fireplace. The golden flames crackle and burn. The man lets go of Charlie. As Charlie falls he grabs onto a brick sticking out of the wall. The man tries to grab Charlie but Charlie bites the man. The man trips and falls into the fireplace. “HELP ME YOU OLD WOMAN” shouts the tall man. In all of the commotion Charlie gets back to his hole. Charlie hears all the shouts of the tall Man being burned. That was very close thinks Charlie.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!