A Unique Sunset

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

Colours spiralled and danced in the water.
There was a steady glow being sent out in shades of rosy red, whilst indigo ink was spilt carelessly against the high sky.
One glorious sunset.
The beach, though not special, and the night, though not celebrated...it didn't matter. It was still beautiful, still unique.
Why? The girl resting on the softest sand asked herself. Why was she thinking this?
Inside, buried deep in her heart, lay the answer. Because nature is our Earth's best beauty, but humanity pollutes it and throws it away like a dirty rag. The modernised world were all glued to screens at that very moment; whether it is phones, tablets or that chattering television screen.
Nature, true nature without gadgets involved, was being left in the waning past.
Everyone should have a night like this, the girl decided. A night dedicating your full attention to the wonder called nature.
A sunset viewed alone.
The girl stood up, watching the sun hover over the horizon. The sky was the painting, the sun an artist, and the stars the amazing details tucked in tight.
She started to pace along the shore. Warm waves tickled her bare ankles. Her world darkened.
The strand of seaweed holding her hair was loose, so she tossed it into the roaring sea. Hair whipped her face as she waded towards the half sun, which broke into a seamless dive. Here she was, totally and utterly alone. Yet this particular girl had never been filled with so much joy in her 21 years of life. Toys and gadgets had swamped her life, but never had they truly satisfied her.
Nature had released her happiness. Tonight she had watched the sun slowly sink and vanish into the oceans, and the stars slowly creep out. This young woman gazed at the sky whilst floating on her back, the Southern Cross glaring back at her.
A nagging thought invaded her brain, and with a sense of urgency she rushed back to the shore. Sand clumped up in between her toes, but frankly, she didn't care.
Her name flashed across a screen. Meredith.
She- or Meredith- ignored it and continued to rummage through her bag. Her hands brushed a velvety case, causing a frown to appear. That hadn't been there before.
New thoughts awoke.
Her boyfriend has taken her here on this vacation. He had been the one to tell her to come her to witness the sunset alone...which had awed her. To have a swim...that had lifted her spirits, refreshed and relaxed her. Earlier today he had noted that having anyone else there would shatter the magic.
"You will find a box. Open it."
Another of his odd requests to her.
Impulse enveloped her and forced Meredith to open it.
A pearl nestled into a golden ring glinted back at her.
Tonight had been Meredith's sunset, her night to treasure forever.
The beach being the host, the sun the show...all just for her.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!