Tea Party

What are you doing?
No one owns this. No one has owned anything for a very long time.
I picked up the scarlet flowers from the bouquet store, pretended to pay for it and left the rusty store.
Stealing is not okay just because no one’s here.
It’s not stealing if it belongs to no one.
I arrived home and planted the flowers near the front door. I looked at the lonely chairs surrounding my dusty table.
You know what’ll make this complete?
Don’t even think about it!
I walked down the isolated streets. In front of me, the city loomed. The smell of rotting, old buildings and bodies devoured the stuffy hot air. I walked towards one of the hotels infected with moulds and entered through the smashed window.
“Hello! How are you?” I asked one of the slouching bodies on the reception desk.
Silence. Except for the piercing, never-ending buzzzzzz of flies and blood-thirsty insects.
“I’m good, thanks!” I said walking up the stairs towards my friend’s room.
He didn’t talk! Rude!
Do you really think he was able to talk?
“Hey bestie! You there?” I shoved the blood-stained door. It crashed onto the floor with an ominous BAM! The sound ringed in the deserted halls for a while before departing into the darkness. I scanned the dark room… Blood, broken glass, broken furniture, the usual… My friend lay in the kitchen with his back turned.
“Long-time no see! You wanna come over for a tea party?”
As usual, no response but the piercing buzz of flies everywhere.
“It’ll be fun!” I walked towards him.
Don’t!
I walked in front of him and tried to reason with him. His expression was empty. His soulless eyes bulged and his mouth was a black hole. Flies foraged on him. On his red, bloody eyes. Inside his mouth. Inside his bloody, broken body.
He’s not going to talk!
Then I’ll force him to come.
“Let’s go friend!” I wrapped my arms under him, snuggled him to my chest and carried him bridal style.
He should be buried properly! Not be displayed like a mannequin for your tea party!
Shut up! I want to hang out with my bestie!
Returning was harder. My friend was still heavy. His insides should be hollow by now. I guess some people take longer to decay.
“Here’s your new home!” I sat him down onto the chair.
“Are the flies bugging you?” I sprayed insect repellent on him. “Better?”
I grabbed his teacup and poured dark red, sticky liquid into it. I did the same with mine. Since there’s nobody around anymore, I have to scavenge for my own food.
This is wrong!
No one does anything anymore! All I have is me!
I stopped thinking and focused on my friend. I shared secrets until sunset. I carried him inside. He lay on the bed while I slept elsewhere. Morning rose and he still lay there. My tea party shall never end.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!