Red Wolves

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

The scorching sun seared the endless landscape before me. The dominating spinifexes were the only colour in this red sea of sand and I listened as they gently swayed with the slightest hint of wind. Pearl clouds scattered the blue abyss above but gave no cover from the blistering sun.
Since I’d come to Australia a few weeks ago, my skin has turned three shades darker from my previous ghostlike complexion and I doubt any of my friends would’ve recognise me back in England. I was visiting Australia with my parents as we’d heard so many marvellous things about this country and so far it hasn’t disappointed me. Visiting Uluru has been on the top of my bucket list since I learnt about it in geography last year and when I heard we were going I almost jumped out of my skin.
As soon as we hopped out of our rented, mud-stained Jeep and I caught a glimpse of the beautiful blushing giant before me, I sprinted and left my family behind. I was completely unaware of the danger I was clumsily throwing myself at.
I soon realized I left my bag and water bottle back in the car and began walking at a steady pace, turning back to see my parents still in the Jeep. I didn’t stop though, convinced they would soon catch up. As I made my way towards the enormous rock, I pushed through an overgrown shrub and stopped dead in my tracks as I emerged on the other side of it.
Three red wolves that encircled a mangled animal carcass stared up at me with their cinnamon eyes, looking as surprised as I was. Their coats were flea bitten and their ribs poked out remarkably. Nothing happened for a few seconds but as they realised I was no potential threat, just prey, the skin around their bloodstained mouths pulled back revealing razor-sharp white teeth.
Suddenly my brain registered what was happening and I turned around and sprinted back in the direction of my parents. I don’t think I’d ever run faster in my entire life. Hearing the dogs close behind me I picked up the pace but didn’t look back in fear of losing balance.
I never realise before how difficult and tiresome it is to run on sand. My legs screamed for rest and my heart was ready to jump out of my chest but there was no time for stopping as the wolves were gaining on me. I saw how close I was to the car with my parents still inside and let out a last desperate blood curdling scream as loud as my dried up throat allowed.
When I reached the Jeep I yanked the back door open, tumbled in and slammed it just in time. Only one of the wolves still pursued me and it jumped at my window, leaving blood and saliva. Dad started the car hurriedly and we sped away from the red wolves of Uluru.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!