The Cup

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

I was getting ready for the biggest soccer game of my life, the under 7 World Cup Finals. I was worried that we might lose because our best player was injured and he usually scored all the goals. Then I had an idea, I could practice shooting to get better. Then I ran to Mum in the morning and asked if I could start training straight away. She said yes and we immediately drove to the World Cup Field. I pumped my soccer ball up and started shooting. I practiced shooting 50 goals to warm up for the match. I saw my team on the other side of the field and sprinted toward them. I asked the coach and the team if I could be striker for the match. Then I realised we were versing Australia, one of the hardest teams. It was too late to change my mind, the game was about to start. I sprinted to striker and tried to focus on the game and not get distracted by the piercing screams and shouts of the crowd and my mum.
Three… Two… One… the game was on. I was running toward the goal at full speed. I kicked it as hard as I could. The goalie flinched and America scored. I had to block my ears with my fingers to stop the angry boos from the Australian side. Australia reacted aggressively and kicked our second best player’s leg. Our team got a penalty kick. I took the shot. I hit the crossbar and our second best player headed it into the goal. We were up 2-0 at halftime.
Australia’s best player shot from defender and missed by an inch. The goalkeeper kicked the ball to me but I missed it and Australia took their chance to shoot. The goalie dove to the other side and Australia scored. There were only two minutes left. America charged up the field but the Australian goalie stopped the shot. The goalie punted the ball up the field to Australia’s best player. I hoped our defenders could block the goal but the defenders were too busy talking and Australia scored. Three, two, one the referee blew the whistle and the game ended as a draw.
The referee called for a penalty shoot out to decide the winner of the game. The coach chose our five best players and I was second to shoot. Our second best player shot first and missed. Our goalie saved the Australian shot. I shot and scored. I hoped our goalie would save it again but he didn’t. Then our next two players scored and our last shot missed. We ended up beating the Australian team by two goals. We all celebrated and had a party until midnight.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!