Away From Home

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

Scarlet flung open the car door. Her stomach was churning around and around. She didn’t want to go now, she wanted to stay with her family. Her magnificent lush green eyes flooded with tears that ran down her face. “Have a good time sweetie. We are all going to miss you.” said Scarlet’s Mum depressed. With that, Scarlet’s twin sisters, Violet and Ivy burst into tears. They were probably closest to Scarlet than anyone else. Scarlet turned to face the dull looking airport. How was she going to cope with her family and friends on the other side of the world?

Scarlet bent down to give her dog Coco a pat on the head, her face now red from crying. She then walked over to the entrance to the airport and said “see you in a year” and with that she disappeared into the airport to board the plane. Scarlet went through Security and glanced back to where her car had been. She wished was back with her family and wished she had just finished her year as an exchange student.

On the plane, Scarlet was sitting next to a girl called Sophia who had long black wavy hair that swayed every time she turned her head.They greeted one another and seemed like a good fit. They chatted for the whole flight. Scarlet thought that Sophia could just be her new best friend. The plane landed and Scarlet and Sophia went their separate way. Scarlet was meeting the Masons who seemed nice. They had two girls named Harriet and Abby and an older boy named Jacob.

The Masons who seemed elated to see her said the had been counting down the days till she got there. Mr Mason whose name is James said he would help carry her luggage when it came. The Masons left Scarlet to go get the luggage, all expect for Abby who stayed backed and talked to Scarlet.

Scarlet felt like the Masons were a good fit, and headed off back to the car with the Masons who had all the luggage. It took them an hour to get back but when they did Scarlet saw the house witch was exactly like hers. The welcoming was incredible and it made Scarlet forget about how depressed she was.

Scarlet hoped that this year is going to be the best yet even though her family is on the other side of the world.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!