The Wild Winter Walk

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

As I step outside, the fresh pale snow crunches beneath my new snow boots. I look out across the vast landscape, that’s lit up by the full moon. My friend June follows me outside and softly shuts the door of the small snow-covered hut that we have been staying in for the last couple of days.
We step out on to the windy white road, all set for the long walk ahead and amble along without a word, too stunned by the marvellous landscape around us. I gaze up at the dark sky above. There are small stars glittering in the distance. After two hours of slow sauntering, we decide to head back to the warmth of the hut.
I glance across at June. Her long blonde hair falls over her face as she trudges along beside me. Her striking blue eyes dart around as she takes on the dimly moonlit surroundings. I gape at a large pine tree. Its needles have a blanket of snow covering them and small, clear icicles hang off the bottom of them.
As we approach the hut, I hear a loud crash in the distance. An Avalanche? No it can’t be. ‘Pull yourself together Pearl,’ I think to myself. I look up at the sky. I can only just see a gigantic dark cloud quickly moving towards us. June has seen it too. We quicken our pace and then start to run but the snow slows us down to a slow jog. I’m starting to panic. I take a deep breath of chilly air. I have heard of blizzards but I’ve never been in one.
Suddenly I feel a strong gust of icy wind. We are so close to the hut that I can smell the wood smoke coming from the chimney. June has made it inside and I’m just behind her but I’m too late. A more powerful gust of wind makes the door slam and blows me over, so I’m lying face down in the snow. I try to stand up but the whirlwind drives me back down. I commando crawl across the snow, trying to find something to grab onto. I’m so cold that I can’t feel anything. Something inside me tells me that there’s no hope and I should just stay where I am and die. I ignore it and push on through the blizzard. I’m blinded by the cold and the rush of wind and snow. I hear someone calling my name. June? But then everything goes black.
I open my eyes and look around. Everything is blurry and I have a very bad headache. “Where am I?” I ask myself out loud. But then everything comes flooding back into my mind. The walk, the blizzard... And then I blacked out I think. “Pearl!” cries a very relieved voice. I can see clearly now. “June?” I ask. “You’re alive!!!” She says hugging me. What a crazy adventure this has been! I think to myself while taking a sip of my hot chocolate. And I’m so happy to be alive.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!