Magic Is In The Air

I waited silently, not daring to move, not even to breathe. I crouched behind the door, curling myself into the smallest shape possible, hoping I would not be found. Outside, the floorboards groaned in protest as the creature stalked even closer towards me. I swallowed a huge lump in my throat, which was threatening to choke me. I waited. Suddenly, it happened.
Georgina closed the door and my presence was revealed. At least, I thought it was. “OK, you found me. Have you found Billy yet Georgie?” I asked hopefully.
“Stop teasing me because I haven’t found you yet, Liliah! “said Georgie with an exhausted tone. “And yes, I have found Billy, so you win. Now where are you?” “I’m behind the door! You just saw me!” I said surprised by her blindness.
I was right next to her now and she still hadn’t noticed.
I’ve even got my hand on you and you can’t feel me!”
“No, I can but I can’t see you! You’re invisible!” she screamed. I screamed as well. Then I remembered yesterday. My Aunty Rhonda had come around for a day. She had left by now, but she always has stuff to give us when she comes over to our house to stay. This time she had given me a ring, Beautiful and very precious. She had told me never lose it and then she had lent in and whispered to me, “It’s probably magical with a look like that”, she had a serious look on her face.
The ring had small diamonds encrusted in the band and an emerald with an opal within the middle. It was very old and according to Aunty Rhonda was 321 years in age and was mysteriously found encrusted in an old boulder on the top of a hill that had its top blown off.
I had rubbed it and then my eyes had gone hazy as the dust blew away. That must have been when the magic turned me invisible!
I told Billy, Henry, Georgie and Savannah the whole story.
“Cool!”said Henry when I’d finished the story. I looked at the ring in amazement. I took it off just in case I would come back, but I didn’t. Then suddenly, I saw a material flicker in the wind.





It was paper. I pulled it out carefully. Then I noticed that it was folded. As I unfolded the paper I saw that it was a list.
1 bluebell flower
3 gum leaves
5 parrot ( any kind) feathers
3 materials from favourite place
1 grain of sand
7 dog hairs
9 cotton balls
Mix thoroughly
(add 3 ½ cups water)
Swish in mouth for 5 seconds
Spit out on buffalo grass
Then place ring on wet spot and say:

“Ring, send me back to normal and although your magic is strong, I can turn against or go with your magic at my will. Amen”
“OK”I said as I checked off the last two things on the list. I went upstairs to get mums big mixing bowl. It’s made of metal, so it will be good to mix the potion in.
I put all the ingredients together and mix until the yellow mash is bubbling and gurgling like a real potion.
I find some buffalo grass, it isn’t very hard because our yard is never, ever mowed. Dad is too lazy. I pour the potion into my mouth. Wow!
I’d expected for it to taste gross, but it tasted like lemon meringue. I spat it out onto the grass and placed the ring on the liquid and said the words clearly. Suddenly, Savannah yelped. “You’re turning back!”
I smiled then I rubbed the ring again I turn invisible. “Oh, no you have to make it all over again! “said Billy surprised. “No I don’t!” I said.
I take off the ring and sure enough, I turn back to normal. “You can scare away Mrs Crankolly now!” yelled Henry excitedly.
Henry calls Mrs Crakolly, “Mrs Crankolly” because she isn’t very nice. “Bullies too!” says Billy “what about the detention room?” says Savannah. She goes there lots. I don’t go there ever.
“This life is going to be awesome!” I say as we walk off down to Savannah’s house for dinner.
“Definitely!” the others chorus.
The End

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!