Through The Storm

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

The rain viciously pelted against the frigid glass of her bedroom window and as the thunder roared in the sky she quivered, petrified underneath the makeshift blanket. Her pale skin illuminated against the incandescent gleam of the torch in her trembling hands, long and thin fingers grasping tightly around the source of light as if it were the difference between life and death. The wind was howling in the midst of the raging storm sending chills down her spine as she pulled the sheets impossibly tighter over herself; a force field from the peril and overbearing aura of impending doom.

Ever since the world came to a tragic end two dreadfully long years ago she was forced to fend for herself in the menacing embodiment of the post-apocalyptic environment she had only ever recognised in literature. She had hastily crafted a small and humble abode from the ruins of an old house, shielding herself far away from the ever present dangers lurking freely about the earth's surface. Unlike the novels she had so often engrossed herself in, there were no supernatural beings or extraterrestrial creatures taking control of the world. In their place were regular people, so corrupt and overrun by greed that they became the worst monsters of all. On a murderous rampage determined only to satisfy their egocentric desires they created a treacherous and never ending war in which everyone is fighting only for themselves.

She thought she had effectively sheltered herself away from the theatres of war and the battlefield that was once a peaceful place for all to enjoy, but alas her efforts were not enough. When the raucous screech of tires against asphalt sounded from the road near her hideout she became aware of the trouble that had arisen and was harshly met with a state of panic.

She dashed out of her dwelling, sprinting as fast as her malnourished body could handle, coming to an abrupt halt on the slippery road beneath her tarnished feet. The car's beaming headlights captured her small figure in a silhouette as the violent wind grasped and tugged at her ivory hair and she realised it was over. Her time on earth was coming to a swift end, depriving her of the life she was entitled to and she knew that there was no escaping this awaited fate. As several people exited the vehicle she bravely stood staunch with her gaze directed to the foe, for she would not die a cowardly death. When they hesitantly approached she found herself surrounded by the only remaining humans who were not infected by the gruesome urge to kill. They called themselves the 'Resistance.'

In their safety she remained, aiming tirelessly to get humanity back on its feet. For the brave, young girl had a pure heart, forever absent of greed, and the courage she possessed was enough to get her through the storm. Safe and sound.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!