My Story

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

A young teacher asked me something that sounded like muffled nonsense as I stood uncertainly in the playground, I couldn’t understand a word of what she had just said. I’d been sitting lost in my worthless thoughts on why I had to attend an English school where I was constantly bullied, rejected and belittled by the community and even worse, I didn‘t know anything nor understood a word of English. It was like being thrown into the deep end of a pool not being taught how to swim. I began to panic. The helpless feeling you get as if drowning, being pulled down by the sheer force of your own gravity to a new world where chaos and confusion existed. It had been more than one year since I had arrived in Australia, the land of 'milk and honey', the country of opportunities and happiness, yet I didn’t know how to speak a word of English to enjoy any of its beauty.
All I wanted to do was to go back to the school where I could communicate fluently with the students and the teachers. All I wanted to do was to go back to my homeland, my sanctuary. All I wanted to do was to go back to Korea, where I would come home with a bright big smile- a smile that was genuine, one that would last longer than the conversation with mum and dad at the dinner table.
I managed to mutter something in Korean but it was no use, this was Australia and I needed to learn how to speak English. I tried shuffling away from the teacher, making great effort to ignore her presence but it was still no use. The teacher grabbed me by my shoulders with a powerful grip and spoke to me in a much harsher tone than before. I was aghast.
Having no choice, I tugged my arm away from the forceful grip of the teacher as I struggled with all my 6 year old might trying my best to pull away from the unyielding palms of the teacher until she pushed me away and I ran. I ran the fastest I had ever run before to escape the embarrassment as if it were chasing and taunting me. While tears dripped down my scrawny face, I ran past all the other kids who were leaping with joy -winning games with friends which I had none, I ran past all the bullies who had always blocked my path wherever I went. I ran past all the fair-haired, blue eyed children who had never let me come near their area until finally; I arrived at a small corner where only a skinny and fragile kid like me could squeeze in.
I could hear the bell of depression booming out of the speakers like an alarm, echoing in like a yodel in the depth of the mountains. Yet I felt safe and reassured in this cramped refuge; I was going to skip class again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!