A Man. A Tortured Soul. A Lifeless Corpse

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

It was dark. Cold. Lifeless. The orange glow of a lamp light shed its warmth over the cracked and ripping wallpaper of the apartment walls. Just against it sat a lump of black cloth huddled into a tight ball and constantly shivered. The moon flashes through the murky windows caused shadows of the furniture in the room to dance. The black cloth, an illusion revealed a human…. a man desperately clinging on to the cloth with fear that demons were lurking. There was something in his eyes that spoke of events he had witnessed. All alone with darkness as his companion he shivered once more and thought, “When will they go away”.

The moon had passed over leaving a trail of gloom and for the fearful figure it meant another round of pure suffering. It had started as quickly as he had anticipated. Thump! Thump! Thump! the floor boards played, with enthusiasm and relish. Shadows became smoke and risen from the ground like steam vaporising, gathering at the feet of the man. Again as if on repeat; Thump! Thump! Thump! even louder than before. This time the smoke gathered into a hand and gripped its nails into the man’s neck. He screamed with utter distraught and horrified notes filled the air, waking even perhaps the dead? He looked right into the smiling face that shimmered with dark swirls of steamy black. The devil’s smile filled with delight and its eyes, hollow and ghastly as it glowed sickly blood red. The man struggled for life and looked away only to catch a glance of his accomplished work of murder across the room. The perished body’s eyes were just as shockingly haunting as the pair that was fixated just a breath away.

As much as he tried in dire attempt to free himself the man could not fight away his guilt that now clung onto him like a hallucination that roamed wild. Panicking in distraught at the outcome of practised murder the man showered tears rocking violently while he tore at his skin with his nails. “I deserve to die!”,his voice tremulous he screamed to the emptiness around him. The hours passed by and so did moon as the night became morning in a short period of time. The man had woken from his devilish nightmare his eyes were red, puffy and sore. Despite the suns ray that entered the room with full embracement the man screamed once at the sight of the unoccupied body. He looked away forever haunted with an image permanently engrained upon his mind.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!