Tempus (time)

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

My name is Sylva Mortem.
I am General of the Moonwalkers.
I am daughter to the late King Radnon of Nebula.
I am bearer of the sword Cleaver.
I am going to die.

The moon scuds across the inky sky. Smoke claws at my face. Wind wuthers a banshees moan.
A warlock casts a bolt of lightning. It scars the night and blue shards hurtle through the air. I stab a dagger into an orc’s chest and pull him to block the magic as a shield. The lightning jolts the orc. I slide him off my dagger and flick it into the warlock’s throat. He claws at his neck- gushing with black blood mixing into the rain.
The orc's and Undead swarm on us. Ravenous birds.
“Fall back!” I yell above the shrieks. Pale bodies litter the mud. Cracked faces, stained red. Rain pelts down and lightning splinters the sky.
“To the Keep!”
Three Wraiths remain- their ethereal bodies flickering, their twisted voices, distant and distorted. Their hands can rip flesh, wrench free their souls. They cannot be killed while in spectre-form.
I dance past a wraith’s clawed fingers, and extending my palm outwards, I shout “Eriss!”
I fall to my knee as the magic arcs and smashes into the Wraith, solidifying the spectre as I swing Cleaver. The Wraith’s head drops and disperses into smoke.
On the crest of the hill, Mortas stands. Bearer of Wrathbringer.
A black cloak clasped at his neck, billows behind him. White-blonde hair, feathered by the wind. Cruel, blue eyes glare from the shadows.
Memories flit like caged butterflies.
His eyes. His hands. My parent’s blood.
I reach up to my throat and clasp my pendant. A silver tree studded with verdant leaves.
Breaking into a run, I pound towards The Keep; skewering orcs as I pass.
My brothers face flashes pass me, “LUX GET INSIDE NOW!”
Luxs’ blonde hair, spattered with rain and gore frames his ravaged eyes. But before he can speak, a figure looms beside him.
Dread takes me. I charge towards my brother. Time crawls.
Tick.
I draw Cleaver.
Tock.
Lux swivels to see Mortas.
Tick.
Mortas swings Wrathbringer.
Tock.
I shove Lux.
Tick.

I look down at my brother.
“Sylva…” He whispers raggedly.
My eyes follow his.
A sword is embedded in my stomach. Mortas slowly draws out Wrathbringer. Pain lashes, cracking like a whip. The world turns red. I fall to my knees.
Mortas looks at Lux, “You crossed me. These are the consequences.”
A broken pendant lies spattered in the mud.
The world begins to fade.
The darkness swallows me.

A blinding blue mist erupts from the darkness.
Blue eyes stare down. Mortas.
Two Wraiths are beside him.
“Rise, Wraith Queen.”
I must obey.
I clasp my sword and stare at its reflection.
A deathly image looks back at me.
“Welcome to Undeath, Wraith Queen.”
Mortas offers me a pendant.
A black tree. Blood red leaves.
Tock.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!