The Chair

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

Silence. Just silence. Then a dripping. Then a whir. Silence. I could feel the rope, wrapped around me like a constrictor. I felt dizzy, yet wildly awake. I was possessed by the Twilight zone. The hunger for a feast of freedom, was eating me up inside.
I heard whispers but-silence. Silent whispers. My hair was draped down, curtaining my face, gently brushing against my skin- my back against the chair. The chair.
I was in sheer darkness. Were my eyes open? I felt my eyelashes flutter against my eyelids. I was awake. Yet there was silence. Deafening silence.
Inhaling, exhaling. Inhaling, exhaling. I smelt burning candles-not the nice kind-the wax, the smoke and the flame. I felt if I breathed, I would only breathe in deathly fumes, and with that, I kind of was.
My deep fear and anger, were working hand in hand, to slowly break me down and fill my insides with frustrations. Envy had the upper hand. I was envious of all of those free; unlike me.
I felt my heartbeat deteriorate, then speed up. Over and over. I was a frail hummingbird sucking at the pollen of horror.
I looked around in fear I might see something my eyes couldn’t handle-freezing and snapping my eyes shut each time I thought I did.
I felt like I was speeding at the pace of light, yet my motionless body lay still, wishing that Hell wasn’t the one holding my hand.
I screamed. I could hear nothing but the echoing of my wretched screams- and silence.
Petrified, aghast and clueless, I tug on the rope. Nothing. Its tight grip clutches me to its chest, like a little teddy bear with a scared child. I would be in this chair forever. Trapped. There was no escape plan. An escape plan is to be created from an active mind- something I didn’t have.
Oh the whispers. The cackles. The silence. I could feel the fear being injected into me, the syringe digging deep into my skin, killing any hopeful bacteria.
There it was. That dark figure-denying to state that there couldn’t be anything darker than that room… or wherever I was.
Reluctantly, I tugged again. A cackle. I couldn’t move.
I remember it all too clearly. The glowing red eyes. The chortles of laughter. The harassment I felt when he grabbed me. The terror I felt when the knife was held against my neck. I saw the blade go up… and go down. Silence.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!