Winter Graduation

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

As the cold winter air nipped at Yuskai’s cheeks, she pulled her scarf up over her mouth. This time of year the cold air of Sutamura, Japan made all attempts of warmth near to impossible. Yuskai walked down the street, her long, night-black hair swaying with every step.
Yuskai waited for her best friend, Namida, at the train station.
“YUSKAI, YUSKAI,” Namida shouted waving to her friend. She ran over to Yuskai, but on her way she slipped on some ice and came sliding to a halt at the station’s steps. She got up and limped over to Yuskai. “I’m sooo sorry I’m late,”
“Namida, you really need to get up earlier,” Yuskai said, “and you’ve forgotten to brush your hair.” Yuskai grabbed a brush from her bag and started to brush Namida’s soft, brown hair. The train arrived soon after and they hurried on board.
“Well, well,” a voice behind them said, “if it isn’t Yuskai.” They turned and saw a boy her age leaning against a pole.
“Meiko,” Yuskai said a sly smile sliding onto her face, “still as stupid as ever.”
“Well I’m sorry Yuskai, but I’m not interested,” he said walking away. Yuskai’s face went red.
“JERK,” she called after him. The train arrived at their stop and Yuskai woke up Namida and they rushed off. Goshatai High; the tall school building stood in the middle of a large garden. Yuskai’s class had been organising a music concert for today.
Yuskai was playing the bass guitar, Namida was on piano and Meiko on drums. Her friend Kioske was playing electric guitar. Yuskai and Kioske were also on vocals. Yuskai was dreading this day, not because of the concert, but because today was her graduation.
Yuskai walked into the school hall and sat down in one of the empty rows. Silence. The only sound was the wind blowing throughout the hollow hall. That and the opening of doors. Meiko arrived and took a seat next to Yuskai.
“It’s so peaceful,” he said quietly.
“I know,” Yuskai replied, looking down at her feet, “It’s hard to believe that we’re graduating today.”
“Yeah,” Meiko replied standing up, “we should go...otherwise we’ll be late for class,” Yuskai nodded and rose. They walked into their usually rowdy class to find that everyone was in their seat. No one spoke, no one coughed. Everyone just sat and stared at their feet; all dreading graduation.
Graduation passed and then came the concert. By the end, all of the sadness had been replaced by excitement. The last song ended and the crowd cheered like a perfect world had just been made for them. Yuskai looked back at Meiko and Namida. Meiko mouthed “I’m sorry,” and Yuskai gave him a look that assured him “It’s alright.” Then she looked at Kioske.
“Thank you all for being here. I’m really proud to be a part of this school,” Yuskai said no longer feeling the cold of Winter, “and I just wanted to say...THANK YOU.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!