Best Friend

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

I don’t think it’s worth it anymore, everyone is too tired to talk to me, and the Commander will not take the time to listen. I don’t like it, and it’s wrong that the Government are not here fighting because they are the ones who started the war. Even if they cannot be here, we could at least fight with our Commanders barking orders at us every five seconds. If you want to know what changed my point of view because I used to think the Governments were doing something good, but they’re not.
My best friend Jo just got shot from the Turkish soldiers, I miss his friendly smile and his sense of humour, it has also made me realise that I was also killing friendly people. I don’t want to be here anymore, not at all, I wish the war was not real. Who cares about it, just settle it between the Governments why are we all involved. I wish my friend was here he would cheer me up.
It has been such a long time since I have seen my family and my sweetheart, oh how I miss my country, my animals, but most of all my dog Dusty. The days and nights over here are very long, the rain never stops. I look forward to reading the letters from home, but sometimes it takes months to get your letters, I wish I was home with you all so that I could be safe. I really enjoyed the Anzac biscuits you made for me, as the food here is not like your cooking, sometimes we go days without food, but I suppose we are lucky to have fresh water in small amount to take with us to the front line. I have just been given word that we have to make our way up the hills in the morning, to start our attack, I wish Jo was here to help me through this; he always made me feel calm.
I didn’t sleep at all last night; I just kept worrying about tomorrow, how I wish it was over. We get the word to start our way up the muddy and steep hill we are too tired to go any further as it has taken us five hours to make it to the halfway point.
We make it to the top of the hill at night fall, the fighting is bad, but by morning it is over, we have won. I don’t know how I made it, but I did. It’s all over, I get to go home, I wish my best friend could be with me, I think he was watching over me.
I start the long trip home on a ship, it will take two weeks for us to reach Australia my home. My family and my sweetheart Ann will be waiting for me, and I can’t wait to see them, I am so lucky, I will never forget Jo!!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!