Letters To England

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

21st March 1850
Dear Mother,
I shall start with saying, I am sorry I have not written a letter to you or father in a long time. It is because here I must pay a penny to post a letter, so I have decided to post only a few letters as money is very precious these days, but I leave gaps so that I may inform you about everything in one letter. How are father and the twins? I do so miss them terribly.
Here the land is dry and rugged and it looks like a ‘desert’. That is a new word I learnt today. I am so sorry about myself being in gaol. I only stole some cheese for the twins as they were crying in hunger.
Here, rich ladies cannot show off in their beautiful dresses, for it is far too hot. I feel a strange satisfaction watching them trying to acclimatise to the Penal Colony of New South Wales. Please do not think badly of me!
Daily life is not too bad, now that I have been emancipated (only ten days ago!) I now work as a maid for the lovely mistress, namely Ellen B Rough. She has two lovely children, Jane (8) and Bert (2). My job includes, cleaning, cooking and teaching the children.
I need to teach Jane about the history of this strange new land. I have learnt quite a few things while I was teaching her. In 1823 James McBrian found gold in Fish River, near Bathurst! I wonder if there is gold in other places. In 1804, we made our first wool industry, Mr. B Rough works there. Our Governor, Lachlan McQuarie arrived in 1810. He changed our currency from rum to gold and copper. Great Explorer, Charles Sturt went looking for an inland sea, isn’t that exciting!
I am afraid I will have to cut my letter short. Madam is calling me to tend to Jane and Bert. Overall, I love my new country and am quite excited to be here, but I miss you, father and the twins ever so terribly. I do so wish you could come Mother.
Your Loving Daughter,
Anna O’Brian
P.S There is a strange creature, it looks like a giant possum which hops. Some of the big ones have a pouch and the little ones sit in the pouch. I believe they are called Kangaroos.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!