Missing In Action

Finalist in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

Britain and France declare war on Germany!! That was 5 years ago and we are still fighting. I look around the kitchen. The walls are a mess and there is a draft coming in under the door. I grab 50c and my notebook and head out to school. On the way, I stop at the local grocery store to buy an apple. A man was talking in the phone box and I know I shouldn’t eavesdrop but he was yelling. He was talking to someone about who had already joined the army and their opinion of those men. I was just to leave when I heard my father’s name. I stop and listened. I wish I never had.
There was a rumour going around that my father is missing in action probably dead. I ran to get to school on time but the tears started trickling down my face. I tried to keep going but the tears blurred my vision and I had to stop. I took a big breath and sat down. I would be late for school now but I had to gather my thoughts. I started reassuring myself, I knew what I had heard but it couldn’t be true. We would have got a telegram. Feeling better, I made my way to school. We had our substitute teacher Mr McNeil. I really hate him. I tried to sneak into the classroom to my desk. Mr McNeil saw me and I got detention. All day my mind was on father was hoping with all my heart he was ok. That evening I lay awake in bed I couldn’t sleep. I heard the grandfather clock strike 12. The door creaked open and I heard mother wandering around banging into things. She can’t turn the lights on during the blackout. I slip out of bed and walk down the hall.
From the moonlight coming in through the window, I catch my reflection in the mirror. I have wavy brown hair, brown eyes and some freckles. Mother comes up behind me and I jump. She puts her arms around me. I look back into the mirror. Mother is wearing dirty overalls and she is exhausted. She has been working full time at a train station canteen.
Finally I get up the courage to ask about father. The rumours were true and mother had received a telegram. She was just waiting for the right time to tell me. I break free from her arms and run to my room I cry myself to sleep.
In the morning when I wake up mother has left for work and the house is silent. Suddenly I hear a knock on the door. I open the door and there is a man in an army uniform. He is covered in bumps and bruises. He looks different and very dirty. But I would recognise him anywhere. My father is home.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!