Silent Moments

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

He laughed in my face. Charles Barker, a quiet and lovable heap of muscle, looked at me with obvious mirth in his muddy brown eyes but what I said was true. We had become boring.
“Charles, I’m serious.” We had been best friends for years so he could tell when I really meant something.
He sat up straighter and ran a hand through his hair, making the mop of brown even messier. He looked around the small coffee shop they were in then looked back at her with shock palpable in his eyes.
“You’re right Julie, we are boring. How did this happen?” he questioned her with urgency.
They had promised each other a long time ago that they would never let each other get boring. When they were still only young, maybe 14 or 15, they snuck out and met up by the lake. It was their secret spot. They watched the moonlight glitter off the lake as they made that promise. And now they had broken it.
Julie stood up; at 5ft 8’, she wasn’t exactly short. Her dark blonde hair cascaded down to her waist. She looked down at Charles with the same smile she always wore when she had a plan. The mischief in her eyes made him stand and smile, “What are you thinking Jules?”
She just smiled and put on her coat, and then she walked out the door. He followed her instantly. He knew this would be fun. No matter what they did, no matter where they went, he knew this would be fun... All because of her. His daring, devious wife who he would follow until the ends of the Earth.
She always made it fun.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!