Safe And Sound

As I open my eyes, I notice I’m not where I feel asleep. It’s dark and stormy, I feel wet and hear the sound of rain and cars; I begin to feel cold and scared.

As my eyes adjust, I see light shining down from above me. My body hidden in the shadows, I reach out towards the light and realize how close the wall is as my fingers graze over damp concrete.

I start to feel claustrophobic, I’m surrounded by tall grey walls, I feel water rising up to my chest, I look up and soon realize where I am…… I’m in a storm drain.

Thoughts of fear overwhelm me. “What am I doing here? How did I get here? What’s going on?

HELP!?! MUM? MUM?” I scream as loud as I can, but the sound of cars passing above me drowns out my cries for help.

Suddenly I hear a voice. “Hey Sarge, the father confessed; said his son is in a drain along this road. You know it’s been raining heavily for hours, these drains are going to fill up; if he’s down here he’s going to drown! We better move quickly”.

I continue to scream out as the policemen walked by, their footsteps were so close and the light from their torches glistened off the drainage gate.

“HELP ME! I’M DOWN HERE!” I scream in desperation, coughing as water begins to fill into my mouth. The policeman lifted the grate above me and I managed to pull myself up and out of the drain.

“Sarge? Is tha-…” the officers’ voice fades away.

“Oh Doug....it is……the poor kid; he didn’t stand a chance”.

Horror coursed through my body. I’m standing next to the policemen looking down into the drain and
see MYSELF!! My body is swollen and bruised. There is a huge gash on my forehead and my eyes, puffy and black are closed – am I…..DEAD??!

The ambulance arrived, its headlights blinding my sight. Two people came towards me and I could hear
their voices in my head telling me they are Angels; before I know it, they’re holding my hand and I’m rising into the air. “You are going to Heaven”, the Angels say, “but we must enter through the gates first.”

A feeling of relief and happiness fills my entire body; did they just say Heaven?!?

The figure of a man approaches me, “you are safe my son”, his voice so soft and calming; He reaches to take my hand, “You will never have to fear anything again”.

I was looking into the eyes of Jesus as I see my whole life flash by me, right up until the moment my dad beat me…to death. But standing before Jesus there was not a bruise on me; my skin was clean and pure; I was in white robes just like Jesus was wearing. I never felt more safe and unafraid in my entire life as I walked with Him through the gates of Heaven.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!