Kharn's Journey

The axe sheared through the chain mail without the slightest hint of slowing down. Kharn’s attacker fell to the ground in a fountain of blood and a choked gurgle. Kharn laughed maniacally.

The Inn was a breeding ground for rats. Thieves and murderers gathered in here to drink and eat without worry, Kharn sat at a small table in the corner of the filthy Inn, and his eyes scanned the room, looking for threats. Something interesting stole his attention. A large warrior appeared to be staring straight at him, he noticed Kharn’s unwavering gaze had shifted towards him. The warrior looked away for a few seconds to converse with the others sitting at his table, they all had the look of warriors about them. They nodded and glanced at Kharn, he tensed up and fingered the hilt of his axes "only four of them" he thought, "the smaller ones look as if they could be tricky to grab a hold of, but if I could just dispose of them, the larger one wouldn't be hard to take down". Oh how little he knew.

Whilst Kharn was thinking, the warrior had stood up and was making his way to kharn’s table. Kharn saw him coming and stood up angling his belt to facilitate drawing his axes “That’s close enough" he said in a dangerous voice. The warrior raised his hands to show he was unarmed “I’m sorry to bother you, but my associates and I have a proposition”, Kharn’s eyes narrowed in suspicion, he indicated the seat opposite to him “sit down, but if you do anything stupid ill chop your damn legs off”. The man sat down and held out his hand “my name is Erik, My associates over there are Blaze and Tyco”. Kharn didn’t look impressed “should I give a damn” said Kharn, “Blaze practices certain arts” Kharn looked at Erik strangely “what do you mean” he said, Erik looked at Kharn “to put it simply, he’s a mage” Kharn’s eyebrows shot up at Erik’s words “A MAGE!” yelled Kharn, his eyes widening in surprise “mages haven’t been seen in Gorlan for more than a century” Erik eyed Kharn coolly “he’s not from around here”. Erik stood up suddenly “if you’re interested in working with us meet us in Dunharrow” Kharn looked surprised “what about the other guy, you haven’t told me about him” Erik just looked at Kharn “you’ll find out” he said as he walked away.
Kharn’s breath crystallized in the cold air as he trudged through the snow “So much white” he thought as he forced his way through the knee deep slush. Kharn had decided to accept Erik’s offer to meet him at Dunharrow. As Kharn crested a hill he was greeted by the sight of the ancient burial spires of Dunharrow. As he neared he began to make out Erik’s huge form, “Kharn!” he bellowed, kharn made his way over “welcome home” said Erik, Kharn eyed him coolly “it's good to be home”…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!