A Bad Frame Of Mind

A Bad Frame of Mind
By Isabel Burdick
I stood eyeing my reflection in disgust. I was paralysed with despair at my vision of my bulging waist. I mean, I’m 20.3kg fat and I’m 17 years old!!!!!!!! I fell to the ground, vowing never to let another morsel pass my lips. I closed and locked the bathroom door, and started to cry softly, hoping that no one would hear me. I always thought that crying was a sign of weakness, so I never liked anyone catching me in the act. I felt like spewing when I saw myself in the mirror.
Just then a tiny bird flew through the open window. It was a magnificent animal. It had little, silky, dark blue feathers with black outlines. It had a small (unlike me) white stomach, and, with all these features put together, it was a superb animal. I smiled weakly at the beautiful, small bird.
‘If only I could be are pretty as you, little bird,” I said, half enviously at it. I wished now more than ever, that I was as thin and beautiful as the bird. I know. I must sound crazy. Being envious of a bird must really, really be weird.
Never the less, I felt a small ray of happiness - almost as small as the bird – shine on my depressed life. But that ray of joy soon dissolved when I heard just one sad word. It wasn’t meant unkindly, nor did the owner of the voice mean it so. But I returned to my normal sad state when the one word rang out, “Dinner!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!