Nazi Grunt

I had lost count of how many people I had to kill under the supervision of higher officers. I and many others of young age had walked along the streets with our heads held high, sporting the flag and proud to be one of the faces the public respected; ready to help create the perfect future for our country. Had I known back then, had I seen that millions would die under the forceful hand in power, I could’ve stopped. I may have fought or ran; either way I would not be what I am now, as it were I continued down a long path with many unknowing soldiers beside me. Doubt seeps in my mind as I hold a gun, hesitating before I wave it at people, training and learning for great prospects but never understanding.
The feelings stopped, hesitance before every order becomes non-existent and I take them with stride. Becoming an emotionless shell only familiar with the weight of the gun at my side, no longer did I try to avoid the circumstances, the repetitive systems. I lost count of how many people I had to kill as I held guns to heads daily, the fear in the eyes of the innocent imbedded into mine as I hear myself yelling distantly in my mind. Flashbacks haunted me, they caught me in my every moment and shook me to the core, sleep was rare, I always remembered my father’s disappointed gaze and my mother’s tears as I execute activists; whom bore no fear nor courage just acceptance.
I felt myself closing my mind from the violence, the torture and dead, shutting off from my own actions. I fear now that if it went any longer I would be lost, running around in my own head, condemned to the void of my own thoughts. Regret cuts deep when I do realise, when I see that he was wrong and that he lied. I despise myself for holding that flag, for being proud, for following him I lost my life, my innocence and my family. The scars do not go away nor does the blood on my hands as I scrub furiously over and over and over.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!