Daddy's Not Coming Home

Daddy is a soldier. He’s very brave and very strong. He always smiles and looks his best. He takes the time to play with me, even when he’s busy. He tells funny jokes that make you sore, and mystic tales of faraway lands. He never gets angry or raises his voice and always forgives. He always reads me bed-time stories, using funny voices. He always tucks me in and says, “Good night little one, I’ll see you in the morning,” then kisses me on the head as I fall asleep.
But one day, Daddy got a letter. The letter told him he had to go away and leave me and Mummy behind. I didn’t want him to go, and neither did Mummy. But Daddy had no choice. He told us not to worry and that he’ll be home soon. With a final hug and good-bye kiss, Daddy left with the other soldiers.
A long time has passed since Daddy had to leave. Sometimes I sleep with Mummy because I’m sad Daddy isn’t here with us. No bed-time stories. No good-night kisses. I ask Mummy, “When is Daddy coming home?” She says she doesn’t know, but hopes it’s soon. More time passes since Daddy had to leave. I don’t know why he left; Mummy says he left to protect us. I miss my Daddy; I hope he comes home soon. Mummy misses him, and I do too.
Mummy got a letter today. It’s from Daddy’s boss. She read it once, and then read it twice, and then she started to cry. “Mummy? Why are you crying?” She places the letter down and picks me up then sits on the couch hugging me. We sat there for a while as Mummy cries and holds me. “There there Mummy. It’s alright, don’t cry,” I say to her. But her tears don’t stop, they just get bigger. When she does stop, she looks at me with tear filled eyes and says, “There’s something I have to tell you honey, it’s very important. Daddy’s not coming home.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!