Danger In The Night

He is in my house. He has been for the last ten minutes but I don’t think he knows of my presence yet. I don’t know if I can overpower him. I’ll have to take him by surprise. He won’t see me coming. I’ll jump onto him from the second story landing. I must wait till he is right below me; otherwise I might miss and land on the floor next to him. Then he’ll have the advantage. He’s coming. I can hear him trying to sneak down the corridor. He’ll be below me in a few seconds.
I stand up, ready to jump. I see his head cautiously emerge from under the landing. He looks around, but not up. When he comes out in full sight, I get the gist of how big this guy actually is. He would have to be at least twice my size, maybe more. This scares me because it means that I might not be able to overpower him, even if I jump on him by surprise.
I don’t have time to think about it anymore because he has turned around to face the landing. I duck down out of sight. I don’t know if he has seen me. I definitely saw his face, so he could have seen mine. He has unnatural jet black eyes with a long scar from his chin all the way up to his non-existent right ear. He looks like the kind of guy who would wrestle wild animals as a hobby. Maybe that’s where the scar and loss of his ear came from; wrestling a lion or tiger.
He’s moving towards the stairs so he’s probably seen me. If I don’t move he’ll see me for sure when he reaches the top. Silently, I crawl towards my bedroom and get through the door just before his head reaches the top of the stairs.
Now I have to make a choice. Use the phone to call for help and give away my location or jump out the window onto the lawn (or rose garden) ten meters below and possibly injure myself. I choose the window. At least then I have a greater chance of escape and I don’t have to face this guy.
I tip toe over to the window and open it as quietly (which isn’t very quiet at all).
I put my legs out and as I sit on the sill, I hear the doorknob squeak as it turns. I jump out the window as quick as I can, pushing away from the house so I land on the lawn not the roses. I land on the lawn and roll to lessen the impact a bit but I still think I’ll have a few bruises in the morning, if I can make it through the night.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!