Hallucination

I smiled at her, to camouflage my disgust, a hard burden I must admit. I dared to look down. Big mistake, worst mistake, why did I just do that? What lay festering below me was a bottomless pit of what looked like lumpy, black tar. I quickly cloak my horror in a thick coat of fake smile. I gazed over the table… nothing… nowhere, to hide my putrid dish. The witch rewarded me with a toothless grin, and I caught a glint of metal in her hands. I wondered if the food would strangle or poison me before I had time to ingest it. I stared at the dull grey spoon waiting patiently beside the plate, patches of patina ruled over its ruff looking surface, I hesitated worried about what it waited for. Again the precarious thought of death shrouded my dim thoughts. I reached gingerly for the deteriorating spoon, the closer my hand drew the further away the spoon looked, I almost gave up when a shock of cold punched me, I had managed to grab it. No going back, not now, not ever. The strength drained from my muscles as I pathetically hoisted it into the air. I adverted my eyes from the dish, resting peacefully below my wavering chin. There was a quiet chuckle from the witch opposite me. I dug my spoon into the chunky pond of sorrows, as I drew up I couldn’t help but look down and almost lost my innards. The thought of dying, from coughing up a vital organ, sounded more appealing then eating the supposed food below me. As much as I resented the thought of eating I pulled my lips up like two disobedient curtains. I glanced over at the witch, the old hag was sneering at me. I defiantly stuffed the spoon into my mouth, forgetting all my past fear. The second the tar-like-substance hit my pulsating tongue my fears flooded back in, like a dam wall held for many years come crashing down. What came next, I was unprepared for, I liked it. I still hadn’t swallowed. So I had time still, to know whether it would burn me from the inside out, or if I would just fall down dead. The second option sounded more appealing. As I swallowed, the lumpy substance slid easily down my obliging throat. When I looked up Grandma’s wide smile filled me with joy, “How was it sweetie?” I looked back down at the swirling pond of Lamb’s Fry, it definitely looked less life threatening. “Just as misleading, as always” with that I continued stuffing my face with spoonful’s of heaven.

When I was done, she gave mischievous grin, put her sewing down and grabbed my plate, carefully escorting it to the kitchen. A slight doubt niggled at the back of my head, It grew with ease when she came back with an unusually shinny red apple, a horrid glint burning deep within her eye’s. Was that my imagination?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!