A Beautiful Painting


There are many types of artists; Authors, Illustrators, Painters, Directors, Photographers but, we mustn't forget the most important artist of all… YOU. The artist of your life. You are the one who paints your emotions, directs your ideas, writes your stories and records your memories. No artist is more important or precious than that.

Hello. My name is Meg, I’m 13 years old and I have muscle dystrophy. Even though I can’t move, in my mind I hold my paint brush proudly and paint my life with many colours. I was born this way and was 5 years old when I was diagnosed.

My life hasn’t turned out the way my parents wanted but that’s okay. I stay strong in my mind so we are able to have the happy life they planned.

Because I have no mobility I have to get mum or dad to do everything. Goodbye independence! Sometimes I wonder if Mum and Dad will have another baby so they can have the life they dreamt of.

My only friend is Lexi and she is a Siberian Husky. She has been by my side through thick and thin. She knows me better than anyone. She seemed to know I wasn’t well before I was even diagnosed.
This morning was weird. Mum and Dad were acting strange. I kinda ignored it. Later I was listening to Avicii, my favourite singer. He writes stories through his songs, he is really AWESOME! Then mum and dad came in, “So honey, we want you to know that we see you for you and we want you to have the best life possible” I made an attempt to roll my eyes, “ We were wondering if you wanted to go to the Avicii concert this Saturday?” I was stunned, then I started squealing, or in my case grunting, I was so happy!

Today was the day of the concert. As Mum helps me get ready I can’t stop thinking about what the concert will be like. We arrive at the arena. Mum pushes me to the ticket booth, the air is filled with excitement and electricity. Soon I am seated and the lights start to dim. It was so quiet, then a bright light flashes and there he is.
Suddenly there is the biggest roar I have ever heard. My heart literally starts racing, and I am so shocked at how surreal this all feels.

It is his last song. This has been amazing. While he is singing his last song the lights go out. When it’s the chorus the lights turn on and in the background there is a huge picture of…. ME! Me when I was at the beach. A spotlight finds me. The arena is cheering and the whole time Avicii was singing to me.
My whole body came alive at that very moment. And for one perfect moment I felt like I was just a regular kid.
It was the most beautiful picture this artist has painted yet.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!