Life Will Never Be Perfect

Excellence Award in the 'Beyond Words 2015' competition

This is a story that my great grandpa told me when I was young, the legend.
When Britain declared war over Germany, the British Empire needed help against the enemy countries. So they were recruiting new ANZAC’s. Hundreds and Thousands of people gathered in Australia and New Zealand. Some COULDN'T go, some were too short and some were too tall. Some were too young and some were too old. Finally some were just right. A young man named Tyler (My Grandpa), well, he was too young. So he lied about his age, his colleagues Joe, Mike, and Brodie had to lie about their age as well.
After they recruited enough soldiers, Joe, Mike and Brodie left their homes. But just as Grandpa Tyler left his home he said to his parents, “If I come back I will bring a poppy for remembrance for all who died protecting our country”, then he left for the train station.
When he boarded the train everyone was waving goodbye to their families. After a long train trip the new soldiers were at the Harbor. They boarded the battleships after a long 2 hours of waiting. After 6 long weeks on the Destroyer, the first eleven ships arrived at Tohunga Harbor in Egypt.
Since they were new recruits the new soldiers had to train for a while so they set up camp in Egypt .They stayed in Egypt for 2 whole months, until one day the head commander had to make an announcement. Since the German Empire had allies on their side the British needed help over in Gallipoli to fight the Turks. So they packed up then headed over on the Destroyer and the other ships again for a long 6 month6 Months Later
The coast of Gallipoli was getting near and the gunfire’s were getting louder. War was not what they expected. In the next 2 hours the British Empire lost 12,000 soldiers whilst the German Empire lost 20,000 Turks. Everyday Tyler waited for his mates to come back, they always did. But one day, under the trenches, gas filled the air so everyone put on their gas masks, but not Grandpa’s friends.
He watched as his colleagues took their final breath. But they were happy as they got to die fighting for their country. As he Grandpa watched them die, a tear dropped from his eye and landed on the ground. He took them out of the trenches, 1 by 1, and lay them down in the field of poppies.
1918 The End of WW1 11/11/1918
On the 11th day, on the 11th month and on the 11th hour, there was peace. The graves of Joe, Mike and Brodie lives on. Grandpa kept his promise and brought back a bouquet of poppies. He went to tell all his friends parents’ the sad news. Tears filled everyone’s eyes.
No one lived happily ever after but I know that everyone who was lost, is now in peace.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!