Oblivious

Excellence Award in the 'Beyond Words 2015' competition

A shiny ball of sophistication arose from its slumber, penetrating an abundance of colour through the clouds and across the sky. Its brightness tickled Eliza's eyelids, awakening them to witness its beauty. Her surroundings allowed her to forget what she and her sister left behind. Nestled under a palm tree was Maggie, her drenched, golden plaits stuck fast to her small head as she caressed the creamy sand. They knew they were far away from the bombing terror that struck their big red land, although parts of Eliza pondered whether it was the right decision to leave.
"Come over here darling," Eliza gestured to Maggie. She collected herself up and waddled over towards Eliza like a teenager wearing heels for the first time. "It's so hot, I even have elbow sweat," Maggie croaked as her bottom grazed the sandy ground. The youngsters stared carelessly towards their small boat, wrecked by the pounding waves of the ocean blue. Maggie broke the silence like a sudden scream in the night. "Lizzy, I know we're far away from Darwin, but are we really safe from the bad guys?" As Maggie spoke, Eliza noticed a fountain of water gathering in her eyes. She wrapped her arms around Maggie's tiny body in an attempt to comfort her. "You know Mags, no one is ever safe in this world, especially during this time of war. I think we should be okay here for the time being. This island is so isolated not even pirates could find us!"
Tummies grumbling, minds oblivious to their fears and skin burnt by the outrageous heat, the Miller sisters let time pass as they enjoyed their safe haven. Eliza and Maggie created fun out of anything they could find; coconuts used as soccer balls and reeds used as skipping ropes. When pitch black storm clouds swept over their fun, the tired girls resorted to a shady palm tree for shelter. The time came for the sky's shiny ball of sophistication to take its very gradual decent to sleep.
Suddenly a large object of extreme speed shot through the sky. Its rareness caught Eliza’s eye. This object seemed to disappear momentarily into the puffy marshmallows that dotted the sky and then fly out again. Its mysteriousness kept Eliza intrigued for what seemed like hours although realistically was only a few seconds. Without warning, the object got seriously close to the shore of the island shocking Eliza into action. She gathered up Maggie and sprinted out of its direction. As this item’s head grazed the sandy ground, it catapulted Maggie and Eliza's bodies towards a palm tree. The object exploded with a tumultuous bang!
The beautiful beach, that was once Eliza and Maggie's safe haven, was the last sight they saw as it gradually turned to blackness. Those slanted eyed aliens had found them again. They were never going to be safe!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!