Teaching Teenagers To Drive

Hi there! My name is Bailey Smith and I’m 19 years old. I finally passed my driving test after only 27 attempts; I even got an award for the most failed attempts! My parents put my award on our fridge, they were so proud of me. Honestly, I’m an amazing driver, the driving instructors are under-qualified and they only have 30 years of experience! In hopes of helping teenagers easily pass their driving tests; I’ve decided to become a driving instructor.

Today, I’ve taken on the task of teaching my cousin, Abby, how to drive. Before we began to drive, I explained to her my three golden tips for driving:

If someone ever tells you your driving is bad, ask them, "have you died?".
The best driving compliment is, when someone leaves a little note on the windscreen, that says 'parking fine'.
If an officer stops you, and asks you if you saw the speed limit sign, say "yes officer, I did see the speed limit sign... I just didn't see you.".

After I made sure she understood these important rules, we began to drive. As we were driving I noticed every time Abby would pass by a speed camera, she would press on the accelerator. I remember when I did that the driving instructor would yell at me…so not knowing the reason behind it, I would do the same to Abby and yell at her. She wouldn’t stop it, so I finally got her to stop the car and asked her why. Her response was: “My friend told me that if you speed through the camera the police take your picture, proving that you can drive well, and give you points towards your license and you can use those points to deduct money off of your monthly insurance fee.” Wow… was the only word that came out of my mouth! Why hasn’t anyone told me that before?! I’ve missed so many opportunities of saving money.

As we continued our driving lesson, I had to teach her how to efficiently text while driving. Even though we’re technically not allowed to text while driving, there are a lot of things we’re “technically” not allowed to do. The only tip I gave her for texting while driving is:
1. God has given us two eyes for a reason…one eye should be on the road and the other should be on our phone. The same reason why God has given us two hands!

Later on we reached a speed bump. Bailey stopped the car. She told me she has a fear of speed bumps, but she's slowly getting over it. I told her there's nothing to be worried about, and we continued.

This was day one of our driving lesson, there’s still so much more I have to teach Abby. I’m glad she has a cousin like me to teach her well and take good care of her! I wish I had a driving instructor like myself.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!