There Is No End

Excellence Award in the 'Beyond Words 2015' competition

For a second, stop, and think about what a story is. First thing that comes to mind, whether it is a fairy tale or Greek myth, is a generic story...right? You are extremely wrong. A story isn’t a knight in shining armour coming to the rescue or a superhero saving the day or even someone trapped in a maze with no way out, they are all parts of a story.
So how about I tell you part of a story, a small section of what is actually an entire lifetime. It starts with a land lost in time, a land that was hidden away from all who sought to find it, a land which was home to things that would be rare today. Through the land ran a great river that carried away anything that steps in it with unnatural speed, the river was a crystal like blue that shone in a way that mimics the stars in the night sky. The river was situated right beside a great mountain which dwarfed the clouds and earth below them, it was tallest thing in the area...or so it seemed. Opposite the mountain was a village of people that relied on the land around them more than anything else in their life. The river gave them water and fish to eat while the land gave them fruit and animals, it was a community that believed in no other place but the present. That was until the river dried up. And it stayed dry for months and months with no end, the fish were gone and the grass turned yellow, the food became as dry as the river and the animals were scarce.
The only place that they had ever known was lost and they thought it was the end...until they looked up at the mountain and saw, very faintly, a patch of green with a deer grazing on it. That was the moment they decided that there was hope for the village and so they set off towards the mountain taking everything with them from bags of hay to pigs and even the last healthy cow. The journey was hard and took days to achieve, some of the villagers either quit or simply died, though it didn’t matter for they knew their story would soon be over and that there was a better place below that mountain, Heaven, Olympus or even Valhalla.
But once the top of the mountain was below them they saw the world for what it was, there was green grass and animals and even a river filled to the brim with fish, but what they also saw was more mountains... more decisions, more paths, and as they looked at the village below them they knew that it was only a chapter in their story...and trust me there are many, many more to go because as I said, a part of a story will end...but not all of it...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!