My Eyes

Excellence Award in the 'Beyond Words 2015' competition

What my eyes have seen is enough to drive a man up the wall.
If they could see the world through my eyes, their outlook on the way their eyes meet mine would change.
Most people that walk past me day to day won’t even look into my eyes, as if they were far more superior to me.
As I sit on the corner of the street, begging for whatever change people have, my eyes grow tired and sore. What’s left of my youth being spent trying to get myself an education, a home and a family.
When things get dangerous, I’d pick up whatever belongings I had and run as fast as I could, trying to shield my eyes from any more violence.
My eyes, no longer feeling the need to work, keep dragging on, day after day. The lifestyle that I live has aged me by many years.
My eyes have been distressed and I’ve been handed this life on the streets, experiencing danger, misfortune, starvation, illness and neglect.
For years I’ve been overlooked as scum. As if I were the most uncultured human being on this planet. Whatever change I get from people goes towards a better lifestyle, so I can protect my eyes from further discretion.
The world would be more desirable if people could see everything through my eyes.
My eyes are scarred with a dishonourable childhood. I’m supposed to go on and raise a family and have a nice job in the city but alas, I’m lonely and live wherever there is shelter.
How can you walk past me as if I were a troll waiting under a bridge. Not once will you look into my eyes and see my pain. I’m not asking for sympathy, I’m asking for help.
People know my face and not my story, they all think I’m some kid with a drug addiction, and I need to get enough money for more narcotics. But I’m not. If you’d look into my eyes you’d see that I’m not a monster, rather a lonely child who needs help, care and a new life.
My life is misinterpreted for somebody that’s reckless and could never love somebody. My eyes care, they understand, they need a helping hand to guide me to a happy life.
People always say, ‘Love the life you live.’ But how am I supposed to enjoy living in the dark alleyways, surviving off of food scraps as I was some mutt and wishing that you were anybody else. My eyes don’t wish to see any more, I wish to be released from the world and simply vanish into thin air.
I close my tired, misunderstood, sore eyes and let the darkness take me away from the violence, starvation, misfortune, thirst, illness and danger that lies in the world.
For once in my life, I feel free.
My eyes get what they deserve and rest.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!