I Did Well In English Class

Riding along the pathway, my mind started to relax itself. The handgrip of the bike that I clenched tightly made me feel in control, like I had dominance over my life for once. The silent wheel tyres overwhelmed my body with tranquility and my lean leg muscles cycled along the nature strip.

Inspired by the blooming, bright flowers from every angle and every house, I decided to write a story on the neighbourhood, the few little blessings in life that I never really noticed. My mind immediately bursting with ideas of my latest story for English class.

Rushing home, I accelerated my bike so that I could feel the blood pumping in my veins. The scent of the blossoms was like a new brand of perfume. The rush of air pushing back my hair from my oblique shaped face tempted me to have an urge to loosen my grip of the bike handles; the daredevil moment subsided as fast as it had arisen when my house came to view.

The familiar wave of the flowers' petals enveloped me into a warm, welcoming hug, glass bottles that hung on an old oak tree tinkled and winked at me. Hopping of my bike, I hurried inside and dashed to my bedroom, with a head full of creatures and unthinkable characters popped onto my page. My exercise book filled with writing plans and poetry continued to fill page by page, ogres, princesses and cold, wicked witches filled the empty lines of the page. Looking around at all the little blessings I never took notice of before, suddenly created a book full of happiness and diversity.

Turning away from my exercise book that I absentmindedly fingered, my attention focused on the computer that was staring at me, turning the monitor on, I scooted my chair forward and started to write about the characters I had created, with personalities of some that I may have wanted and others I would have hated, while during the motion I felt like a new part of me had been uncovered allowing my thoughts and emotions run free in my stories.

My fingers flew across the keyboard and my story began to make an appearance on the bright, flashing screen. My main character was similar to me, but had a part of me that I never thought I ever had in English class, my life story poured out onto these pages. Printing the copy out, I placed in gently in a plastic sleeve pocket . My heart thumped, this may be the first time I might do well in English class. Falling back on my chair, with my face toward the ceiling, I slowly closed my eyes smiling.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!