War

I woke up with a tingly feeling. Was something wrong? I started walking down the hallway. But something didn’t seem right. I walked out to the kitchen trying to stay calm. Then I saw mum standing there with her head drooped like a dead flower. I felt like running and hiding under the bed covers but I knew I had to stay. There was dead silence for about 5 minutes until mum could get the courage to speak. “Your brothers gone to war” mum’s voice trembled. “He left last night when you were in bed”. I felt like I was drowning. But I knew he would be ok.
Every day I would get a letter from Nicholas. He would say that he missed us. I miss him to. It’s a lot quieter now. It feels like we are missing something. Something that is in my heart. But at that moment I got the thought. The thought that no one wants to think. What if he didn’t come back? I would be broken. I really don’t want him to get hurt.
As the days drew closer, Nic was due any day now. I was buzzing with excitement. Ding dong. “Mum, his here” I screamed. He was finally back. After 2 months without my brother I have to say I love him even if I don’t show it. With no doubt in my mind, I answered the door. Standing there was someone who looked nothing like my brother. I let him in. He sat himself down on the couch. I got mum. When we had all settled down, he started to speak.
“I bring bad news. I am afraid your brother died”.
My heart sank. I started to cry. I couldn’t imagine how hard it would be without him.
Every time I went outside, I could hear his voice saying something but I couldn’t understand him. Instead I counted every drop from the leaking tap. I would always read the letters that Nic use to send me. Then I had a thought. What if he is actually not dead? At that very moment the doorbell rang. So I went to answer the door. When I answered the door, I saw my brother standing there. I thought I was imagining stuff but he was actually real. I let him in and asked what was going on.
“I survived. They all told you I was dead but that is just lies. I almost got killed yes but I hung in there just for you,” he said.
The next week, we had a dinner with the whole family to celebrate. We had roast chicken and potato bake. We ended with the best chocolate mousse. After dinner, Nic had to take a phone call and I followed him but he didn’t know. I listened very carefully.
“Nic you are required here for war again we need you. Do you accept?"

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!