Escape

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

Black. It is always black. I am standing. How can I be standing? There is no floor. There is nothing. Then he comes. He always comes. The Dark Night, on his black skeletal steed. He draws his sword and the horse rears back. They gallop towards me and there is a glint of metal as the sword slices through me as though I am merely air. I slump forwards, blood pouring down my chest. Blood is darker than you would think. The walls- there are walls?-start closing in. The blood fills up the tight space and I. Can’t. Breathe.
I resurface with a scream. No one reacts. I didn’t expect them to. They are used to it now. The first night here, I stayed up, pleading for mercy. I told them I didn’t do it. It’s the truth. They didn’t believe me. In the depths of my heart I didn’t think they would. Every night since then, I have had the same nightmare. It is not so much different from reality. Not for me. I remember my younger sisters laugh, as she pokes the policeman’s hat off his head, her grey eyes twinkling. My older brother, holding me protectively when they came, my mother’s scream as they took me away. Worst of all, my father’s disappointed look, as if he had believed them. I didn’t think he had then. I know he had now.
A shaft of light hits me in the face. The sun is rising. First there is a purple-peach glow, then a sliver of light, that gets bigger, and bathes the lone hill where I am held in a heavenly glow. It is beautiful. Like God is making this sunrise special. The last sunrise I’ll ever see.
I turn away from the barred window, and wait. I hope. Maybe they won’t come. But they do. They take me, with my bracelets of chains, over a grassy hill. I am glad I am barefoot. I get to feel the grass again. They take me to a courtyard and have me kneel. They count down from three. Three. They say your life flashes before your eyes when you’re about to die. It’s not true. Two. I realise that my wishes have been granted. I get an escape. Just a different one to what I had imagined. One. I hope death is white. I have had enough of black.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!