Depression

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

"Hey Drake, how are you?" Declan asks walking up to Drake's locker where he always waits in the morning because he doesn't like how busy the school gets in the morning. Drake looks up at him.
"Hey, I'm good. You?" He asks looking away to focus on cleaning out his locker.
"I'm good too." Declan says opening his locker as it is right next to Drake's. Drake nods closing his locker. Declan watches and he walks over to the bin throwing out the rubbish he had in his locker. He notices Drake's a bit more quiter than usually.He usually energetic and excited. He doesn't think that much of it as much considering it's a Monday morning and he probably didn't get much sleep the night before.Drake walks back over whilst Declan watches him.
'Maybe I'm just overthinking things..'' Declan thought packing his stuff into his locker making small glances at Drake.
"Drake!" A girl shouts getting his attetion. Drake looks terrified looking around for the girl who had called his name.
FLASH BACK

"Drake!" His mother yells angrily as she arrives home form work. Drake removes his headphones once he hears the door slam shut. He hears his mother's heels coming up the wooden stairs.
"Y-yes mum?" Drake answers, standing up and opening his bedroom door.
"Come here you usless piece of shit!" His mum yells walking in angrily. Drake looks at her.
"Did I do something wrong?" Drake asks quietly. His mum smacks him across the head.
"Mum what did I do? I can fix it." Drake says quietly moving back slowly. His mother rolls her eyes.
"Wait till you're father gets home!" She snaps.
"What did I do?" Drake asks confused as she stoms off. Drake waits in fear knowing that the worst could happen once both his parents are home. He waits a while before hearing his father walk up the stairs and storming into his room.
"Drake!" He hears his father yell from behind the door. Drake stands up instantly.

END OF FLASH BACK


"Drake!" The girl says again. "I'm right here silly! I haven't seen you in ages!" Drake sighs in relief.
"You scared me Audrey-Rose." Drake says.
"I'm sorry" Audrey says hugging him. He hugs back.
"It's okay." Drake mumbles sighing. He looks down remembering last night, he holds back his tears.
"Are you ok?" Audrey asks worried looking at him. Drake nods pulling back from the hug.
"Thats good." Audrey says still concerned. Drake nods reaching in his pocket for tissues.
Audrey looks at him concerned as Declan walks up to him.
"Drake you ok?" Declan asks seeing his eyes tearing up. Drake nods, wiping his tears away.


The next day
"Hey Drake." Declan says walking up to seeing his face looking a bit purple.
"Yeah, I just go into a little fight yesterday." Drake says covering his left eye.
"Oh, who with?" Declan asks confused.
'Since when did Drake ever hit anyone?' He thought.
"The guy I hang out with at training." Drake mumbles. Declan didn't believe a word. He knew Drake wasn't the type to hurt anyone, 'he couldn't forgive himself when he accidentally threw a ball at Natalia Wilson's face last year in PE.' Declan thought again
"Ok." Declan says letting it go knowing he will come to him when he wants to.
"Declan?" Drake says sounding unsure.
"Yeah." Declan says looking up. Drake looks around nervously.
"Whats up Drake?" Declan asks worried. Drake sighs.
"I didn't get into a fight with the guy at training," Drake says taking a deep breath. "My dad hit me."


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!