Power And Control

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

Power and Control

I riffle through the contents of my closet trying to figure out what to wear. “Hurry up”, Velia moans behind me. I finally pick out an outfit, a short black skirt and a silver sequined top. I think I look pretty good. “I don’t think that suits you” Velia tuts. Of course, Velia has to voice her opinion. “What Ella! Don’t frown, I’m just being honest” Velia exclaims. She walks over to my closet and pulls out a plain yellow t-shirt and black denim jeans.

I can’t say I’m not used to Velia picking out my outfits, she does it all the time.

Velia is wearing a short, tight dress. Her hair is up in a high bun, a crown of flowers sitting on top of her head. She looks beautiful, like always. Velia has long, voluminous blonde hair. Her smile is pearly white and perfectly straight. Her big blue eyes are bright against her fair skin. It is human instinct to envy her, at least that’s what I tell myself.

I have limp brown hair, small hazel eyes and a constellation of freckles on my face. I feel invisible when I am with Velia. It is as if- “Earth to Ella” Velia shouts at me. I jump, startled, I must have been day dreaming. ‘’Come on Ella, let’s go!” Velia yells, not even trying to hide the annoyance in her voice.

We start walking to the shopping centre near my house. “I can’t wait to see what new clothes they have in stock” Velia squeals. She is practically bursting with excitement. The first store we walk into is huge and crowded with teenagers. Velia starts heading towards the back of the store where the dresses are kept. I start trailing after her when she suddenly stops in her tracks. “I think you should stick to that section” she says, pointing to where the baggy jumpers are kept. I stare blankly at her. Velia rolls her eyes “Oh come on Ella, You must know that jumpers hide a person’s figure…and that’s exactly what you need” she answers matter-of-factly. My face crumples in shock. “Well go on” Velia orders “What are you waiting for?”

My brain is in overdrive,“Velia, What kind of friend are you!!”, my eyes are ablaze, “You’re not the boss of me!”

Velia laughs, her voice laced with malice “Didn’t you realise Ella, I already am”.

I storm out of the shopping centre. My heart is pounding and my head is racing.

I remember how Velia told me that I needed to lose weight.

I remember how Velia told me that boys only go for the pretty girls.

A memory is suddenly triggered from when I first became friends with Velia, “You need me as a friend”, she had calmly stated, “Without me, you will amount to nothing”.

Realisation hits me like a bullet.
How have I been so oblivious?
I am nothing but a puppet, and Velia is pulling the strings.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!