The Loser

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

Five minutes left in the final quarter and the feeling begins.

The feeling of discontent, when you know you are going to lose. Even though you have done all you possibly could and given your absolute best.

It not enough. You’re still going to lose.

You’ve spent a whole year working towards this moment, overcoming every struggle, but none of that matters; you’re the one who is going to finish in Second Place.

Accepting defeat - a very unsatisfying process which begins when all the faith you had; the faith that you believed would get you over the line, vanishes just like that. You then start to realise that there is no point in being frustrated anymore for what’s the use. Instead, you fill with regret and a sense of failure. You try not to seem too distraught in front of your supporters, though you know that in a few moments you will be forgotten in all the hype; lost forever in the winner’s smile.

You struggle to compose yourself.

It is deemed that there will be no congratulations for you; not for your effort, no credit of your preparation, and no honour for your brilliance on the day. Instead, bound by good sportsmanship you will shake your opponent’s hand and long for another chance for reclamation; a chance that you couldn’t quite grasp with both hands.

This time around.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!