Family Traditions

Tomorrow is the day, the day its ma and pa’s weeding anniversary and I am happy as a puppy with two peckers! They always give us presents on their wedding anniversary. Who knows what ma and pa will do for us this year? Maybe we’ll go to the honky-tonk! They betta poop or get of the pot I say!
Morning’ comes and I jump out of bed like a hopping rooster and bake some taters in the oven. Ma gets up after me and comes up to me while I’m on the old tree tire. “We’re goin’ bull ridin’ t’day!” she whispers into my ear. I run into my room and slip on some proper Britches and me old boots. I wake up Adabelle and tell her what we’re doing. She does the same as me. When I wake up Angus tho, he just lays there, rolls over and puts the pillow over his head. I think Bull riding is more of a girl thing in this family. Pa doesn’t like it either. Us girls all get in the old Ute and head off only to the middle of town which is about 15 minutes. In the Ute there are only two seats and Adabelle is older than me so she sits in the front passenger seat so ‘her hair doesn’t blow out of shape.’ I sit in the trailer. It’s much more fun!
When we get there the first thing I see is Gael. He’s my age and I think I’ve had a crush on him since we were young’uns. The bull is all ready for me. The toughest bull yet not even Gaels Pa can stay on! But I have been awarded the best junior Bull riding champ at he town fair last week. Gael comes up to me and gives me a hug. I think he can see I’m afraid. “Yall be fine” he tells me. “I’m not so sure.” I say back. This hug seems like it is going forever.
I sit on the bulls back. He calms abit. I rub his neck and grab the reins. Gael and his Pa yell at the same time, “3, 2, 1… Release!” the gate opens and the bull runs out. Flinging me off. I hold on. Tighter than I’ve ever held before and I slip. No I’m still on, just not on his back no-more. I slowly pull myself up and he jolts again. I use my heel to kick him as how I’ve been trained. Gee, I hope I’m not hurting the poor varmint. Then I fall. The impact on the ground bangs against my shoulder and all I see is black.
I wake up, in an old rocking chair at the back of what looks like Gaels Back porch. I have an ice pack on my head. I think I might have landed on my head when I fell of that bull. i don’t feel that great. But I’ll tell you something, it’s ALWAYS worth it.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!