Another Shot

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

My name is Tamika, I’m 14. I live with my Grandmother and 5 year old sister Mara. Me and my sister are best friends, we went down to the lake one day and sat at the water's edge singing, when she nudged me and pointed into the water. I looked down and saw the most precious looking locket I’d ever seen, Mara picked it out of the water and opened it to find two black and white pictures inside: on the right a picture of a young man in his early 20s in a army uniform, on the left a young girl, about the same age in a beautiful old dress and short wavy hair. “I wonder what their story is” Mara murmured “story?” I asked “I mean, that man is in an army uniform from world war two and that girl is dressed as a young girl would back then, i think maybe they were in love and the boy had to go off to fight in the war.” she explained. “Mara, you have such a big imagination” I laughed as I looked back to the rock face on the other side.

“girls! dinner’s ready, come on” called Gran. Mara grabbed the locket and jumped up, “race ya!” she called as she ran up the hill, “hey, you got a head start!’ I laughed as I ran after her. When I caught up to her I grabbed her and swung her around, we fell to the ground laughing. Gran came over smiling, helped me to my feet and picked up Mara. She jumped on my back and I gave her a piggy back the rest of the way to the house.

At the table Mara told Gran everything we did at the lake, she told her about the songs we sang and the games we played. When she came to the locket Gran froze, “darling, may I please see the locket you found” she asked. Mara took the locket out of her pocket and handed it to her. “I never thought I would see this again” she said with a sweet smile on her face “Is that yours?” I asked “that’s me and John Williams” she explained “who’s John Williams?” I asked “He was my first love, we met in the middle of world war two, he was a soldier, we met when we were out dancing. It was love at first sight, soon enough he found out he would be shipping off soon. He came back alive but my parents didn’t approve so I haven’t seen him since” she frowned. “May I please be excused?” I smiled, “yes dear” she replied with a soft smile. I ran to my computer and typed John Williams into google, Straight away I found his picture along with an address and phone number. I ran back to the kitchen, showed Gran the screen and handed her the my phone. “call him; you deserve another shot at love.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!