The Deep, Dark Woods

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

My heart pounds. My eyes create rivers streaming down my face. I can’t go back. I can’t… if I do, who knows what will happen.
My sneakers pound on the cold hard dirt, causing small dust storms under my feet. Blood trickles from my arms, legs, hands and neck. The footsteps behind me slowly, but gradually disappear. I slow down, taking in my environment. I don’t know where I am, but it looks like some woods from a movie.
The trunks of the towering trees are the size of elephant’s legs, with the golden sap reflecting off the light beam of my torch. I can feel the presence of the creatures of this forests eyes, staring at me, stalking me. Watching my every move. As I slowly walk forward, dead leaves and sticks break under my feet. The sharp pointy end of a stick stabs through my weak leather shoes, slicing open the side of my foot.
I howl in pain. Birds fly away in fear of my sudden outburst. I can feel the blood seeping through my sock and filling up my shoes. I bend down and grab the stick from my foot. Crimson red blood now covers the end of this stick. I feel dizzy, but I must keep going. I throw the stick and keep on walking.
I hear a growl in the far distance. The trees block any hope of me seeing any potential danger. The wind howls in my ears, allowing me to only hear a loud whistling. As the wind died down, I could hear the light crunching of leaves and twigs again, but not from behind me. A golden pair of eyes stare a cold stare into my deep blue eyes. Delicate leaves fall all around me. If I wasn’t as scared as I am now, I would have enjoyed the scenery. The beautiful trees, swaying in the howling wind. The little bugs and creatures invisible to the naked eye, crawling around, living under our feet. The evil, ghost-like creature that was staring at me, right through my soul.
Suddenly, the creature howled, then slowly walked out, showing its scarred snout, its skin piercing teeth, and its spine-crunching growl. My heartbeat speeds up once again. This menacing creature - this wolf of the darkest parts of this forest – was staring right at me, daring me to make just one move. I take a risky step back. My knee collapses, and I fall on the hard ground with a thud. As I fall, rain starts to fall, and fog fills the forest. I can’t see a thing. No trees, no leaves. No wolf…
The rain falls harder as I hear distant paws come running toward me. I scream in excruciating pain, as the creature tears me apart, limb from limb. I stop screaming as everything goes black. I stop doing anything I would’ve been doing if my heart was still beating. It is once again, silent in the deep, dark woods.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!