All I Want To Say

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

I cried when my mum died. I wept and wept for what seemed like eternity. Then, I stopped talking. It’s been one year now, and haven’t uttered a single word yet.
Everything in my life is as boring as a blank page in a book. I guess when mum died, she took all the light and colour of this disgruntled old town with her. Even my name is as old fashioned as a 1960’s afro. Honestly, Josie Conolly.
Earlier today, a girl named Bridgette Knox started in 6B. She walked into the school yard and instantly you could tell that every inch of Bridgette's outfit was planned. Yes, she was wearing the tedious grey school dress, but her long, auburn hair was perfectly curled, and she was wearing what looked like hundreds of silver bangles that twisted up her arms like vines on a pole. Bridgette was the exact opposite of dismal. The exact opposite of me.
Standing against the lush rolling hills and stark brick building of the Tuckembara Public School, Bridgette looked different. She looked like…
mum.
At recess I was sitting down unwrapping my flat cupcake (made by dad) when Bridgette walked over and sat down next to me.
“Tessie spilt the beans about you not talking,” Bridgette announced.
“Why don’t you talk? Cat got your tongue?
I gave Bridgette a cold glare and stood up to leave.
“Okay, I’m sorry, I’m sorry.”
Bridgette swallowed.
“My mum died when I was a baby. My dad remarried not long after. I’m telling you Josie, it gets better.”
I took a deep breath and sat back down.
“I just want to help you. If, you will let me.”
I looked into Bridgette's eyes, as blue as the deepest oceans, and nodded.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!