Jockey

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

This is it. I am ready. Ready to win. As I sit on my horse, Clarry. We are waiting in the barrier gates. Waiting for the gates to open and waiting for my one chance at half a million dollars 1st prize. I need to win. Off goes the all-clear light and the gates crack open! All the horses jump out instantly and they’re off. Jarod, the Jockey had a bad jump and now is sitting 8th in a 13 horse Group 1 race. Jarod grips the worn-out reins and steers Clarry onto the left side of the race as he picks up speed and sneaks into 4th just fitting between two horses. It’s a long race with 1 kilometre to go. Everyone wants to win, the crowd on the other side of the race track are going nuts! The commentator can feel the tension, the 1/13 chance to win $500K! Jarod decides to take a risky long stride into the guts of the race and the other horses and it goes well! With a quick grip of the crispy, ripped whip Jarod swings the whip and hits Clarry on the right leg, speeding him up a bit. Jarod hops into 2nd place with only 300 metres to go! Everyone wants it! It’s every man for himself here as you can hear the pounding horse steps along the last couple hundred metres from victory. The commentator and the crowd gets even more intense as Clarry leaps out into 1st, closely followed by one of the fastest horses in Melbourne. They’re both 3 lengths away from the rest of the pack with 50 metres to go! Jarod swings the whip over and over again as he stops and rides Clarry, with 5 metres from the winning post Clarry leaps over the line and wins by a head!

THUD!

Clarry has fallen! He tumbles and rolls as Jarod is launched into the air, somersaulting and landing on his back, as the other horses veer away from the tragedy! The crowd is in silence! As paramedics and officials rush out to Jarod and Clarry. Shortly the sirens are heard from a distance and an Ambulance and a 4x4 ambulance rush onto the track. Clarry tries to get back up as he limps from his front right leg. Jarod gets back up with neck and back pains as 2 paramedics are assisting him. The stewards and racing club staff stop clarry from running as the vets rush to look at his leg. One vet turns around to say its broken! And the sad words were said, as they had no choice but to euthanise the poor, injured Horse that Jarod knew for 6 years and raced him to many victories. This is it, this is the end. Jarod is guided into the back of the ambulance as tears flow from his eyes. He doesn't care about the money. He just lost his best friend.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!