The Allegiance

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

The Allegiance
A long time ago when stars were still forming and mythical creatures roamed freely. Animals and dragons formed an allegiance and this is how it was formed.
In the moonlight the lake shimmered and bright dazzling lights danced across the barren, stone mountain. To the left of the lake the forest of trees swayed eerily. Not a sound in the night, not a heartbeat heard.
The wind howled and whistled through the forest as an agile figure crept through the trees hunting game. The figure was a young snow leopard that had beautiful silver fur and midnight black markings. It’s stunning green eyes bored into the lake looking at the clear blue water. He was nearly collapsing from thirst and he couldn’t resist, he staggered to the lake and lapped the cold water up.
Little did he know that an ancient creature was aware of his presence and he was trespassing on the dragon’s land. The dragon flew out of his cave and into the sky. Gideon the dragon had shiny bronze scales and ice blue eyes. The snow leopard cowered when he heard Gideon roar. The leopard tried to run but his paws were glued to the rocks.
Gideon swished his sharp, deadly tail and tipped his body into a dive position. Gideon was letting a bit of fire escape from his maw. The flames sparkled along his scales, he radiated a bright glow. The flames licked the rocks but they didn’t catch fire they just melted. The temperature rose about twenty degrees and it was now a pleasant warm night. Gideon was now very close to the leopard and Gideon stretched out a paw and the leopard was scooped up into the giant paw of Gideon.
Even though it was about twenty degrees the ice had not melted at all. Rocks were oozing black sludge but the snow still didn’t melt. As Gideon flew into his gigantic cave, little candles sprung to life and danced on their wicks. Gideon opened his paw and the leopard tumbled out. “Why were you trespassing leopard,” he spoke in a deep, powerful voice. The leopard was so surprised that he could understand Gideon he tripped over a small stone and looked at Gideon. “I am Sharptooth,” the leopard said in a quivery voice.
“I am Gideon whose fire melts no ice,” he said. “You are young are you aware of the border that marks my land?” “No Lord,” Sharptooth said in a more confident voice.” Lord Gideon if you don’t mind me saying so, I once saved a wearling* from an adult fox,” Sharptooth said sincerely. Gideon let a huff of icy cold breath extinguish one of the candles. “Please don’t kill me,” Sharptooth pleaded. A spark of white fire entered Gideon’s eyes and the room grew hotter. Sharptooth braced himself for the end and shut his eyes. He waited… no hot breath, no flaming fur.
The fire died in Gideon’s eyes, he bowed his head in gratitude and said “Thank you Sharptooth, for that wearling was me and I am forever in your debt.” Sharptooth let out a sigh of relief and said “Gideon that was only five years ago. How did you age so fast?” “I am considered young in dragon years and dragon’s age twice as fast as animals Sharptooth,” Gideon said. “Animals and dragons should protect one another from threatening dangers,” Sharptooth said. “I agree,” Gideon said and the majestic dragon and the young but brave snow leopard touched paws to make a pact that would last forever. * A young dragon

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!